World’s Largest Street Art Museum Opens in Berlin
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Berlin is one of the most progressive cities when it comes to modernized urban landscapes and public art — with so many corners and façades filled with color, street art and Berlin have become synonymous. For the past decade, Urban Nation, a Berlin street art institution, has pioneered and championed the movement by inviting world-renowned artists to transform anything from old highways to Cold War-era buildings into beautiful works of graffiti art. To honor the city’s modern artistic culture, Urban Nation recently opened the world’s largest museum dedicated to street art.
The Museum for Urban Contemporary Art opened its (tagged) doors on September 16 in the popular Schöneberg neighborhood and is located in a huge five-story structure dedicated to the art that bares its name. The building itself is part of the exhibit, wrapped with 8,000 square-feet of transportable panels that can be moved and eventually archived.
Inside, there’s an auditorium that will be used for workshops, a courtyard with sculptures, a library filled with images by photojournalist Martha Cooper — who has documented street art around the world for the past 30 years — and a “floating walkway” that transports visitors from the ground floor through two exhibitions that stand at nearly 50 feet tall. The walkway will also wind through studios featuring artists in residence from around the world.
Yasha Young, the director and curator of Urban Nation, told Condé Nast Traveler that she wanted this museum to give “artists the backbone of a living, breathing museum, protecting their work and letting people get up close to experience something that’s often painted over.” Young added that this will be the world’s first museum that includes all genres of urban contemporary art: graffiti, paste-ups, sculptures, acrylic designs and other types of art typically found in large cities.
Instead of rotating exhibits regularly, Young plans to to only put on one huge show per year. For the opener, eight curators from around the world were selected to commission pieces focusing on one of 10 concepts. Some of them focused on portraits, guerilla-style activism, figurative interpretation and realism.
Urban Nation was able to acquire the permanent space thanks to nearly $1.2 million in state grants and additional funding from non-profit foundation Berliner Leben. Because of these donations and grants, Urban Nation is able to open its doors to the public free of charge. Brooklyn Street Art visited the museum this week — check out the video below for an inside look.
Have you ever been to a museum dedicated to street art? Let us know in the comments below.
H/T: Condé Nast Traveler
Video courtesy of Brooklyn Street Art via Vimeo; all images courtesy of Urban Nation Berlin.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees