Singapore Airlines Confirms Launch Date for New A380 Suites and Business Class
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Two short months from now, we’ll know exactly what to expect from Singapore Airlines’ Airbus A380 refresh. We already knew that the airline is completely redesigning its Suites product — we’ve been expecting to see the new class-above-first-class in 2017 for more than two years now — but we just now got confirmation of exactly when this much-anticipated refresh will make its debut.
Australian Business Traveler came forward with the scoop earlier today, confirming a November 2 launch event on the carrier’s home turf. We’ll definitely see the new Suites product and a refreshed business-class seat, but the future of premium economy and coach remains up in the air (yes, that’s a pun) — hopefully we’ll be seeing new versions of those products, too.
We might not know much more before the event, though — Singapore’s been keeping a very tight lid on this unveiling, though a leak indicates that Suites will move to the upper deck, and there will be just six on each plane (down from the current 12). That will make awards and upgrades even more difficult to secure, but it will no doubt enable the airline to offer an even more luxurious experience for a lucky few.
It’s not clear whether or not the new seats will first debut on a retrofitted plane or one of Singapore’s new deliveries (which I saw on the flight line in Hamburg today) — my guess is that it’ll be the new plane, though.
I can’t wait to see (and hopefully fly!) Singapore’s brand-new A380 layout. With just six Suites rumored for the upper deck, this will likely be the world’s most spacious first-class seat. By comparison, Etihad fits nine Apartments and The Residence between the first and second doors on the upper deck of its A380, and if Singapore’s using that entire space for Suites, this could easily best Etihad’s incredible Apartment.
Australian Business Traveler is reporting that Sydney is the launch destination for this new A380, followed by London. Singapore will be rolling out the new seats to all of its A380s, though, so the carrier’s remaining US A380 route (Singapore-Frankfurt-New York) should eventually get it, too.
What have you heard about Singapore’s new A380?
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.