Help the Relief Effort in Puerto Rico, Delta’s $250,000 MQD Waiver Requirement, New Centurion Lounges and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you may have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy, and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you may have missed this week.
Last week, Hurricane Maria left the island of Puerto Rico completely devastated — the storm knocked out the island’s fragile power grid and even now, electricity has not come back for the vast majority of people. It’s hard to put into words the magnitude of the damage to this US territory in the Caribbean. Click here to donate to those in need.
This week, Delta increased the Medallion Qualifying Dollars (MQD) waiver spending requirement to $250,000, a figure that shocked many. However, some of the airline’s most loyal flyers believe the new requirement is actually a positive change.
Two of American Express’ most exciting Centurion Lounges to date are gearing up to welcome cardholders in the days and weeks to come. The new Hong Kong (HKG) location will be the first to open on October 2, followed shortly by Philadelphia (PHL) later in the month.
Your chances to fly aboard a Boeing 747 on a US carrier are dwindling. If you’re in Germany, though, you’ll have more options in the coming months, as Lufthansa has added tons of domestic 747 flights between Frankfurt (FRA) and Berlin (TXL) for November.
Since AA rolled out its basic economy product, it’s been marketed as a lower-cost option but the evidence showed otherwise. On Thursday at American Airlines’ Investor and Media Day, AA President Robert Isom admitted what we have already known to be true: “Basic Economy is not a price cut,” he said during a presentation.
Hugh Hefner — founder of Playboy magazine and CCO of Playboy Enterprises — died at 91 on Wednesday after a life that made him a symbol of the sexual revolution. He lived the Playboy brand his entire life and a huge part of that was his very own DC-9.
In case you weren’t able to snag a seat on the last United 747 flight when they went on sale, you still have a chance to get on board — the airline is offering a special auction through which you can bid MileagePlus miles to secure one of two remaining spots on the flight.
A bad situation keeps getting worse for Ryanair. What began as a mass cancellation of 2,300 flights through October — due to a pilot shortage caused by lack of planning for vacation — has led to even more cancellations on the horizon. Ryanair announced Wednesday that it’s cancelling an additional 18,000 flights between November 2017 and March 2018.
In other news…
Qatar Places Order for Additional Boeing Aircraft
Boeing and Qatar Airways announced this week that the Doha-based carrier has ordered four 777-300ERs and two 747-8 freighters in a deal worth $2.16 billion. The order should provide a nice boost for both of aircraft programs, though it’s still likely that we’re close to the end of production for the 747-8 passenger variant.
Lufthansa and Singapore Joint Venture Agreement Goes Into Effect October 1
Lufthansa and Singapore Airlines announced a joint venture back in 2015, which will finally begin on October 1. This means the two — and SWISS — will share costs and revenue on flights between Frankfurt (FRA), Munich (MUC), Zurich (ZRH) and Singapore (SIN).
Featured image by Carolyn Cole / Contributor via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees