Delta’s Daring Flight Through Hurricane Irma, Another Ultra Long Haul United Flight, A Final Domestic 747 Run and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you may have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy, and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you may have missed this week.
Earlier this week, San Juan, Puerto Rico, was in the direct path of Hurricane Irma and as a result, many routes were diverted away from the airport. However, one Delta flight flew right into the storm and out again. Read all about its daring trip here.
United shared this week that it’s going to be launching nonstop flights between its hub in Houston (IAH) and Sydney, Australia (SYD). The almost-8,600 mile flight will be operated by the airline’s Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner and will begin on January 18, 2018.
Join TPG Editor-at-Large Zach Honig on board Delta’s last scheduled domestic 747 flight from Los Angeles (LAX) to Detroit (DTW).
Marriott Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest are each offering members a new promotion with the chance to earn either free nights or bonus points. Be sure to register now if you have upcoming stays with either chain.
The situation is deteriorating rapidly at bankrupt German carrier Air Berlin. We reported that the airline would scrap some of its international routes to and from Berlin’s Tegel Airport (TXL), but this time next month, all long-haul service will come to a halt.
Last Chance: Citi Prestige 75k Sign-Up Bonus Ending Soon
Since late-July, the Citi Prestige Card’s been offering an elevated sign-up bonus of 75,000 ThankYou points, but it’s going to expire soon. If you’re interested, now is the time to apply.
We already knew Hong Kong Airlines would be launching nonstop service from HKG to Los Angeles (LAX), but we learned this week that the airline will also soon be flying to New York and San Francisco, in addition to London.
Italy’s perennially struggling flag carrier has another problem to worry about. As the carrier continues to hang on for dear life, it’s also reportedly hemorrhaging pilots.
In other news…
Virgin Atlantic Becomes the First European Airline to Feature Wi-Fi on All Aircraft
This week, London-based Virgin Atlantic became the first European airline to feature Wi-Fi throughout its entire fleet.
Department of Transportation Grants Kenya Airways Permission to Fly to the US
It’s long been rumored that Kenya Airways wanted to launch nonstop flights between its base in Nairobi (NBO) and New York (JFK). That dream got one step closer to reality this week as the DOT granted the airline permission to fly to the US. Whether the route gets off the ground or not still remains to be seen.
Featured image by AtomicZen via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees