Delta’s Daring Flight Through Hurricane Irma, Another Ultra Long Haul United Flight, A Final Domestic 747 Run and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you may have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy, and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you may have missed this week.
Earlier this week, San Juan, Puerto Rico, was in the direct path of Hurricane Irma and as a result, many routes were diverted away from the airport. However, one Delta flight flew right into the storm and out again. Read all about its daring trip here.
United shared this week that it’s going to be launching nonstop flights between its hub in Houston (IAH) and Sydney, Australia (SYD). The almost-8,600 mile flight will be operated by the airline’s Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner and will begin on January 18, 2018.
Join TPG Editor-at-Large Zach Honig on board Delta’s last scheduled domestic 747 flight from Los Angeles (LAX) to Detroit (DTW).
Marriott Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest are each offering members a new promotion with the chance to earn either free nights or bonus points. Be sure to register now if you have upcoming stays with either chain.
The situation is deteriorating rapidly at bankrupt German carrier Air Berlin. We reported that the airline would scrap some of its international routes to and from Berlin’s Tegel Airport (TXL), but this time next month, all long-haul service will come to a halt.
Last Chance: Citi Prestige 75k Sign-Up Bonus Ending Soon
Since late-July, the Citi Prestige Card’s been offering an elevated sign-up bonus of 75,000 ThankYou points, but it’s going to expire soon. If you’re interested, now is the time to apply.
We already knew Hong Kong Airlines would be launching nonstop service from HKG to Los Angeles (LAX), but we learned this week that the airline will also soon be flying to New York and San Francisco, in addition to London.
Italy’s perennially struggling flag carrier has another problem to worry about. As the carrier continues to hang on for dear life, it’s also reportedly hemorrhaging pilots.
In other news…
Virgin Atlantic Becomes the First European Airline to Feature Wi-Fi on All Aircraft
This week, London-based Virgin Atlantic became the first European airline to feature Wi-Fi throughout its entire fleet.
Department of Transportation Grants Kenya Airways Permission to Fly to the US
It’s long been rumored that Kenya Airways wanted to launch nonstop flights between its base in Nairobi (NBO) and New York (JFK). That dream got one step closer to reality this week as the DOT granted the airline permission to fly to the US. Whether the route gets off the ground or not still remains to be seen.
Featured image by AtomicZen via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.