This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you may have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy, and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you may have missed this week.
Hurricane Maria swept through several Caribbean islands this week, leaving devastation in its wake and making it hard to fly to the region. Here’s how to make sure any flight you’ve had to cancel because of the storm doesn’t end up costing you money.
If you’re a frequent traveler, elite status is a topic that most likely crosses your mind often — but it’s hard to know which airline’s program will work best for you. Check out TPG‘s comprehensive study to see which carrier provides the best elite status program for its flyers.
Though the carrier has already operated a “final” domestic 747 flight, United recently confirmed when the last 747 flight will be — for real this time. The flight from San Francisco (SFO) to Honolulu (HNL) will take place on Tuesday, November 7, 2017. Unfortunately, tickets are completely sold out now, but TPG will be on board documenting everything, so stay tuned.
When you fly in Lufthansa first class — regardless of the equipment — you’re going to get a consistent, luxurious experience. Find out all the best ways to book this ticket so you too can try out one of the best products in the air today.
Amex Centurion Lounges are some of the best places to kill time before you fly, however their popularity has also led to problems with overcrowding. Now, Amex is expanding its lounge at Dallas (DFW) in hopes of alleviating some of the crowds at that particular location.
TPG Editor-at-Large Zach Honig got an exclusive peek at Austrian Airlines’ new premium economy product this week at the Star Alliance MegaDo. While it looks great, its introduction also means a decrease in business-class seats and likely less award availability as a result.
Every wonder what it’s like to fly on a bankrupt airline? In the case of Alitalia, it wasn’t half bad. Read about the entire experience here.
American Express recently added access to four Lufthansa Lounges in Munich (MUC) for Amex Platinum cardholders — if you have the Centurion Card, you’ll be able to access the airline’s fantastic First Class Lounge at the airport as well.
In other news…
You Can Now Use Hilton Honors Points for Amazon Purchases
Though the program was announced several months ago, Hilton and Amazon launched “Shop With Points” this week, allowing Hilton Honors members to redeem points to pay for Amazon purchases. Unsurprisingly, you won’t be getting a good value from your points if you choose to use them this way.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees