Royal Caribbean Is Using One of Its Ships to Help Evacuate Irma Survivors From St. Maarten
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Royal Caribbean is doing its part to help evacuate the island of St. Maarten after the devastation caused by Hurricane Irma. In an itinerary update, the cruise company announced that it plans to mobilize its ships and supplies in order to help those in the Caribbean and Florida who are still struggling after Irma wreaked havoc last week.
The Majesty of the Seas, an 830-foot, 73,941-ton cruise ship, stopped in St. Thomas on a humanitarian call on Tuesday. On Friday morning, the ship will make a stop in Philipsburg, the main port on the Dutch side of the island — the other half being French — that was devastated by Irma’s strong winds, rainfall and storm surge.
The ship will bring supplies including water, food and ice as well as other provisions to the island on the way in, and on the way out it will transport evacuees — to San Juan in Puerto Rico, according to media reports. We asked Royal Caribbean to confirm that the destination will be indeed San Juan, and we will update the post if that destination changes.
A Royal Caribbean spokesperson confirmed that if anyone needs assistance evacuating, they need to send some personal information to email@example.com by 6:00pm ET on Thursday. The necessary information to be included in the email, which is required by US Customs and Border Protection, includes: family name, given name, date of birth, ID type and country, ID number, ID expiration, country of residence, email address and/or phone number, emergency contact and any special circumstances.
The cruise line did not comment on how many people it will be able to take on board the Majesty of the Seas to evacuate St. Maarten. But, if you or someone you know is stuck in St. Maarten and trying to get out, be sure to email the required information by 6:00pm ET Thursday.
In order to use the Majesty of the Seas for this humanitarian trip, Royal Caribbean delayed its September 18 sailing on a regular cruise until September 19. For passengers who still want to sail, Royal Caribbean is giving a refund of 25% on the cruise fare, as well as a 25% future cruise credit.
Featured image by Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees