This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
What’s hailed as the best business-class product in the skies is soon making its way to North America. Qatar Airways’ will offer its new Qsuite business class between its hub in Doha (DOH) and New York (JFK) beginning December 16, 2017.
As reported by One Mile at a Time, the Qsuites product will be offered on Qatar’s Boeing 777-300ER aircraft on flights QR701 and QR702. Here’s the schedule:
- QR701 Doha (DOH) 8:00am Departure ⇒ New York (JFK) 2:15pm Arrival
- QR702 New York (JFK) 9:20pm Departure ⇒ Doha (DOH) 5:35pm (+1) Arrival
Qsuites, which some consider to be on par or better than some of the first-class products offered by other carriers, launched on Qatar’s Doha to London (LHR) route in June. Qsuites will also be offered on the carrier’s Doha to Paris (CDG) route beginning September 23, 2017.
At each seat, Qsuites passengers get their own sliding door for privacy, fine dining options, access to a premier lounge in Doha, top-notch amenities and the option to turn the center two seats into a “honeymoon seat” bed. When TPG Editor-at-Large Zach Honig tried out the product, he was blown away.
One of the best parts about Qsuites is that there tends to be great award availability, however, on this new JFK-DOH route, there doesn’t seem to be much available at the moment. However, it’ll be worth checking back to see if award availability opens up. Use this guide to learn how to book Qsuites with miles.
You can, however, pay cash in order to fly Qsuites on its New York route. If you want to be one of the first to fly on the route, you can travel from JFK to DOH in Qsuites for $9,477 round-trip, which is the price at Qatar’s business saver level.
As OMAAT points out, you can get an even less expensive round-trip flight with both directions in Qsuites by getting a bit creative with your routing. For example, by traveling to Yerevan, Armenia (EVN), you can book a round-trip business-class ticket for $3,598. Both of the legs between DOH and JFK on that trip will feature Qsuites.
This is great news for people who travel frequently between New York and Doha and beyond. Qsuites is a premier product that really sets the bar for other business and first-class products. Keep in mind before you book, however, that Qatar is notorious for making new route and product announcements that turn out to be a little ambitious. Meaning, it’s entirely possible that this December 16, 2017, date could be pushed back. If you really want to test out the product, it could be worth booking a ticket for a later date — perhaps sometime in 2018 — in the event Qatar delays the launch of Qsuites on this route.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees