Exciting New Airline Routes for September 2017 and Beyond
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airlines around the world launch and announce dozens of new flight routes and service changes every month. Today, we’ll share just a few of the latest flights that will take to the skies this month or in the near future. Keep in mind that exact flight details (like schedules and aircraft, among other things) may change.
NEW ROUTES LAUNCHED IN SEPTEMBER 2017
Alaska Airlines Introduces 6 New West Coast Routes (launched August 27-28)
Details — Alaska Airlines expanded service at four West Coast airports in August, adding nonstop flights to cities in Texas, Arizona and Nebraska from Portland (PDX), San Diego (SAN), Seattle (SEA) and San Jose (SJC). Four of the six new routes will face existing competition, primarily from Southwest Airlines, with San Diego-Austin also currently served by Frontier.
- AS3308 Portland (PDX) 6:00am Departure → Dallas (DAL) 11:45am Arrival
- AS3307 Dallas (DAL) 10:35am Departure → Portland (PDX) 12:37pm Arrival
- AS3360 Seattle (SEA) 9:45am Departure → Dallas (DAL) 3:39pm Arrival
- AS3379 Dallas (DAL) 3:39pm Departure → Seattle (SEA) 5:55pm Arrival
- AS3336 San Diego (SAN) 6:58pm Departure → Austin (AUS) 11:42pm Arrival
- AS3337 Austin (AUS) 8:25am Departure → San Diego (SAN) 9:27am Arrival
- AS3338 San Diego (SAN) 8:50am Departure → Omaha (OMA) 2:28pm Arrival
- AS3339 Omaha (OMA) 3:08pm Departure → San Diego (SAN) 5:10pm Arrival
- AS3304 San Jose (SJC) 5:33pm Departure → Tucson (TUS) 7:45pm Arrival
- AS3303 Tucson (TUS) 7:00am Departure → San Jose (SJC) 9:28am Arrival
- AS3300 San Jose (SJC) 8:45am Departure → Austin (AUS) 2:05pm Arrival
- AS3301 Austin (AUS) 3:00pm Departure → San Jose (SJC) 4:50pm Arrival
Norwegian Adds Service to London From Denver and Seattle (launched September 16-17)
Details — Expansion plans show no signs of slowing down at Norwegian, as the airline began nonstop service from both Denver (DEN) and Seattle (SEA) to London Gatwick (LGW) in September. The new flights mark the 10th and 11th US cities with Norwegian service to London. Both new routes will be operated by Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft featuring Norwegian’s premium and economy cabins.
Schedule (Tuesdays and Saturdays, Thursdays added in November):
- NAX7172 Denver (DEN) 2:40pm Departure → London (LGW) 6:40am (+1) Arrival
- NAX7171 London (LGW) 9:50am Departure → Denver (DEN) 12:40pm Arrival
Schedule (Sundays, Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays):
- NAX7132 Seattle (SEA) 1:45pm Departure → London (LGW) 7:05am (+1) Arrival
- NAX7131 London (LGW) 9:50am Departure → Seattle (SEA) 11:45am
Tampa, Florida to Reykjavik With Icelandair (launched September 7)
Details — Another low-cost carrier added service from the US to Europe, as Icelandair began twice-weekly flights from Tampa, Florida (TPA) to the airline’s hub in Reykjavik, Iceland (KEF). The carrier provides connections from Reykjavik to more than 25 destinations in Europe, including London, Paris, Amsterdam, Copenhagen and Frankfurt.
Schedule (Thursdays and Sundays):
- ICE884 Tampa (TPA) 6:55pm Departure → Reykjavik (KEF) 6:10am (+1) Arrival
- ICE885 Reykjavik (KEF) 5:10pm Departure → Tampa (TPA) 9:00pm Arrival
Aer Lingus Initiates Nonstop Flights From Miami to Dublin (September 1)
Details — Irish carrier Aer Lingus added a second Florida city to its roster, as the airline began flying between Miami (MIA) and Dublin, Ireland (DUB) at the top of September. The 3x weekly service is operated with A330-200s. Aer Lingus is currently the only airline operating nonstop between the two cities, and Miami marks its 11th North American gateway, joining Orlando (MCO) as the second city in the Sunshine State with Aer Lingus service.
Schedule (Wednesdays, Fridays, Sundays):
- EI140 Miami (MIA) 9:10pm Departure → Dublin (DUB) 10:35am (+1) Arrival
- EI141 Dublin (DUB) 3:00pm Departure → Miami (MIA) 7:15pm Arrival
Bay Area Gets 3 New Alaska Airlines Routes (launched August 28 and September 18)
Details — Northern California’s largest region is getting new service from Alaska Airlines, as the airline introduced three new daily nonstops from San Francisco (SFO) and San Jose (SJC). The flights between the Bay Area and Los Angeles (LAX), Albuquerque (ABQ) and Kansas City (MCI) are just a small portion of the 33 new flights the airline has added to its West Coast cities in 2017.
Schedule (4x Daily):
- AS3311 San Jose (SJC) 6:30am Departure → Los Angeles (LAX) 8:05am Arrival
- AS3315 San Jose (SJC) 10:50am Departure → Los Angeles (LAX) 12:27am Arrival
- AS3317 San Jose (SJC) 2:44pm Departure → Los Angeles (LAX) 4:19pm Arrival
- AS3319 San Jose (SJC) 7:08pm Departure → Los Angeles (LAX) 8:43pm Arrival
- AS3312 Los Angeles (LAX) 8:45am Departure → San Jose (SJC) 10:09am Arrival
- AS3316 Los Angeles (LAX) 1:07pm Departure → San Jose (SJC) 2:32pm Arrival
- AS3318 Los Angeles (LAX) 4:59pm Departure → San Jose (SJC) 6:23pm Arrival
- AS3310 Los Angeles (LAX) 9:24pm Departure → San Jose (SJC) 10:49pm Arrival
- AS2784 San Francisco (SFO) 6:00pm Departure → Albuquerque (ABQ) 9:35pm Arrival
- AS2781 Albuquerque (ABQ) 7:00am Departure → San Francisco (SFO) 8:44am Arrival
- AS2782 San Francisco (SFO) 9:30am Departure → Kansas City (MCI) 3:10pm Arrival
- AS2783 Kansas City (MCI) 2:42pm Departure → San Francisco (SFO) 4:53pm Arrival
Volaris Commences Service From San Antonio to Mexico City (launched September 15)
Details — The low-cost carrier Volaris may not get a lot of press in the US, but the Mexico-based airline has launched a new nonstop flight from San Antonio (SAT) to its hub in Mexico City (MEX). The airline is employing Airbus A320 aircraft on the daily flight between the two cities. Volaris is a major player in the domestic Mexico market and expects to continue its expansion into the US, with over 60 routes planned from the US by the end of 2018.
- Y4965 San Antonio (SAT) 3:19pm Departure → Mexico City (MEX) 5:16pm Arrival
- Y4964 Mexico City (MEX) 12:00pm Departure → San Antonio (SAT) 2:04pm Arrival
NEW ROUTES ANNOUNCED IN SEPTEMBER 2017
United Adds 4 European Cities to Its Summer 2018 Schedule
Details — It’s never too early to start planning a summer getaway, and United will be giving passengers more options to Europe with four new daily routes announced for the 2018 summer season. Three routes from the East Coast will be operated using Boeing 757s starting in May, while the significantly longer San Francisco (SFO)-Zurich (ZRH) flights will employ a Boeing 787 Dreamliner beginning June 7.
- UA144 Newark (EWR) 9:45pm Departure → Porto (OPO) 9:50am Arrival
- UA145 Porto (OPO) 12:35pm Departure → Newark (EWR) 3:35pm Arrival
- UA138 Newark (EWR) 10:30pm Departure → Reykjavik (KEF) 8:10am (+1) Arrival
- UA139 Reykjavik (KEF) 11:55am Departure → Newark (EWR) 2:05pm Arrival
- UA44 San Francisco (SFO) 2:10pm Departure → Zurich (ZRH) 10:10am (+1) Arrival
- UA45 Zurich (ZRH) 9:50am Departure → San Francisco (SFO) 12:40pm Arrival
- UA146 Washington, D.C. (IAD) 10:10pm Departure → Edinburgh (EDI) 10:25am (+1) Arrival
- UA147 Edinburgh (EDI) 12:40 Departure → Washington, D.C. (IAD) 3:40pm Arrival
British Airways Dreamliner to Serve London From Nashville
Details — A British Airways Dreamliner will begin making regular appearances in Nashville (BNA) starting on May 4, when the UK carrier begins 5x weekly service between the capital of Tennessee and London Heathrow (LHR). BA’s Dreamliner aircraft features 35 lie-flat business-class seats, with another 25 seats in premium economy. The new route will be the first nonstop service between Nashville and London in three decades.
Schedule (5x weekly):
- BA222 Nashville (BNA) 8:25pm Departure → London (LHR) 10:30am (+1) Arrival
- BA223 London (LHR) 3:45pm Departure → Nashville (BNA) 6:50pm Arrival
United Announces First Nonstop Connecting Houston and Australia
Details — United is planning to claim one of the top 10 longest flights in the world when it introduces daily service between Houston (HOU) and Sydney (SYD) on January 18. This will be the third United nonstop route from the US to Sydney, augmenting existing service from Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO). Like with those other two routes, a Dreamliner will operate the daily service.
- UA101 Houston (IAH) 8:00pm Departure → Sydney (SYD) 6:30am (+2) Arrival
- UA100 Sydney (SYD) 11:50am Departure → Houston (IAH) 10:35am Arrival
Avianca Adding Nonstop Route From New York to Sao Paulo
Details — Starting December 15, Star Alliance member Avianca Brasil will begin operating a daily nonstop flight between New York (JFK) and Sao Paulo, Brazil (GRU). The airline will utilize an Airbus A330-200 with 30 business-class seats on the route. This will be the second US route for the Brazilian carrier, as it comes on top of its June launch of nonstop service between Sao Paulo and Miami (MIA).
- AV8501 New York (JFK) 11:30pm Departure → Sao Paulo (GRU) 12:30pm (+1) Arrival
- AV8500 Sao Paulo (GRU) 11:45pm Departure → New York (JFK) 6:45am (+1) Arrival
Five New Delta Transatlantic Routes to Europe and Africa
Details — Delta is introducing five new routes across the Atlantic, with service from New York (JFK), Los Angeles (LAX) and Atlanta (ATL) to a mix of cities in Europe and Africa. Flights to Paris (CDG) and Amsterdam (AMS) will be operated by a 777-200LR starting June 16, while an Airbus A330 will be assigned to routes to Lagos (LOS) as of March 24 and seasonally to the Azores (PDL) beginning May 24. The route from Delta’s main hub in Atlanta to Lisbon (LIS) will see a Boeing 767 on a seasonal basis from May 24 through September 4.
- DL122 Atlanta (ATL) 7:30pm Departure → Lisbon (LIS) 8:45am (+1) Arrival
- DL123 Lisbon (LIS) 10:30am Departure → Atlanta (ATL) 2:45pm Arrival
- DL156 Los Angeles (LAX) 12:00pm Departure → Paris (CDG) 7:55am (+1) Arrival (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday)
- DL157 Paris (CDG) 3:15 Departure → Los Angeles (LAX) 6:25pm Arrival (Wednesday, Friday, Sunday)
- DL415 New York (JFK) 10:55pm Departure → Lagos (LOS) 2:50pm (+1) Arrival (Monday, Wednesday, Friday)
- DL215 Lagos (LOS) 11:30pm Departure → New York (JFK) 5:30am (+1) Arrival (Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday)
- DL78 Los Angeles (LAX) 12:00pm Departure → Amsterdam (AMS) 7:55am (+1) Arrival (Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday)
- DL79 Amsterdam (AMS) 3:35pm Departure → Los Angeles (LAX) 6:25pm Arrival (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday)
- DL417 New York (JFK) 8:30pm Departure → Azores (PDL) 7:30am (+1) Arrival
- DL217 Azores (PDL) 9:15am Departure → New York (JFK) 10:30am Arrival
Which of these new routes are you most excited about?
Additional reporting by Jeffrey Preis. Featured image of Paris courtesy of PEC Photo/Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel