Lufthansa’s Launching Nonstop Service From NYC to Berlin
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air Berlin is bankrupt, and operations are quickly winding down. First, the carrier announced plans to scrap all long-haul flights from Berlin, then it canceled my flight from Berlin, and, finally, confirmed that all intercontinental service would be discontinued on October 15.
Of course, even though the supply has been impacted significantly by these sudden capacity shifts, demand continues to be strong — despite the incredibly light load on my recent Dusseldorf flight. And Lufthansa is now adding service, boosting seats on domestic flights and launching new international routes as well.
First up is a new flight between New York-JFK and Berlin’s Tegel Airport (TXL), which launches November 8. The flight will be operated with an Airbus A330-300 with three cabins of service, including 42 lie-flat seats in business class, 28 large recliners in premium economy and 185 seats in coach. This nearly matches the capacity lost with the end of Air Berlin service.
Flights are scheduled as follows:
- LH407 New York (JFK) 10:20pm Departure ⇒ Berlin (TXL) 12:15pm (+1) Arrival
- LH406 Berlin (TXL) 5:35pm Departure ⇒ New York (JFK) 8:35pm Arrival
Unfortunately tickets don’t come cheap. For example, round-trip fares start at $1,180 in economy:
$1,725 in premium economy:
And $2,494 in business class — though only on select off-season dates.
As for awards, I’m seeing plenty of dates with availability in business class, which appear with a dotted line below:
I haven’t come across economy awards yet — although United’s nonstop from Newark has a fair amount of economy award space:
It’s great to see Lufthansa once again launch nonstop service between the German capital and New York, a route it last flew in 2001. The flight was just loaded, so it’s possible that we’ll see cash fares drop within the next few days. Even better, the carrier has already added in plenty of award space, even if there’s only business class available at the moment.
Will you be booking Lufthansa’s new flight to Berlin?
Featured image courtesy of RICOWde via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees