Houston Passport Agency to Reopen on Tuesday, September 5
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last week, we learned that the Houston Passport Agency office shut down due to the catastrophic flooding caused by Hurricane Harvey. This closure of such a large office caused ripple effects across the US Passport Agency offices and Allied Passport & Visa saw firsthand how any open expedited time slots closed up at other passport offices. This unexpected tightening of availability left Allied Passport and other passport agencies unable to turn around expedited USA passport orders quickly.
The gloomy situation is soon changing and the Houston Passport Agency is expected to reopen on Tuesday, September 5 after the end of the long Labor Day weekend. Any passport applications that were in the office at the time of closure will be processed starting at this time. Due to the closure of the Miami Passport Office — also closed due to severe weather — the Houston Passport Agency backlog may also include some passports sent to the Miami office, which were forwarded to the Houston office for processing.
As far as delays and what travelers needing the Houston office should do, a spokesperson provided the following statement:
The Houston Passport Agency’s temporary closure will have a minimal effect on national passport processing times. We have 27 other passport agencies located across the United States that are open and continue adjudicating applications. At this time, Passport Services is well within our processing customer service commitment.
We recommend Houston customers needing urgent passport services contact the National Passport Information Center to determine the best option for their situation. We will work them and do what we can so they will not miss their planned trip. Phone: 1-877-487-2778/ 1-888-874-7793 (TDD/TTY)
Despite the reopenings, there may be a lack of expedited appointments and passport processing agencies may not be able to turn around applications as quickly as normal. If you need to renew your passport or obtain a second passport, you should get the process started sooner than later.
Featured image by David Paul Morris / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees