One Week Left to Purchase Flying Blue Miles With a 100% Bonus
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available – View the current offers here.
There’s just one week left to take advantage of Flying Blue‘s latest buy miles promotion where you can get a 100% bonus on purchased miles, with a maximum of 75,000 bonus miles. The promotion lasts through September 25, 2017, at 6:59pm ET, and you can buy Flying Blue miles for 1.38 euro cents per point (or 1.65 cents per point when converted to US dollars).
Throughout the rest of the promotion, you can purchase miles in increments of 2,000, with the lowest level starting at €55 (~$66). You won’t earn the 100% bonus until you reach the 4,000-mile threshold, which will cost you €110 (~$132). So, in that case, you’d be getting 8,000 Flying Blue miles for just over $130. Based on TPG’s most recent valuations, those 8,000 miles are worth about $104.
Where this promotion could become especially valuable is when you look at the Flying Blue award chart. One highlight of the chart is the option to fly between Europe and North America for 62,500 miles one-way in business class.
If you wanted to fly from New York to Paris one-way in business class at the 62,500-mile rate, you’d need to purchase 32,000 Flying Blue miles and get the additional 32,000 miles with a price tag of €880 (~$1,053). Based on TPG’s valuations, those 64,000 miles are worth $832, so you’d be paying more than the miles are worth. Plus, you’ll have to pay the taxes and fees on the award ticket.
But, if you compare the cost in cash of a sample flight, you see how valuable the miles can be. For example, on a standard date, a one-way award flight in business class from New York (JFK) to Paris (CDG) costs 62,500 miles + €199.85 (~$239). On the same date, that flight costs $7,277. So, if you were to purchase the Flying Blue miles in order to get the miles needed for this award, you’d be coming out ahead in terms of cash spent — $1,053 + $239 vs. $7,277. For that redemption, you’d be getting a solid value of 11.26 cents per point (factoring in the cost of the taxes and fees on the award ticket).
If you’re looking to fly in business class with Air France or KLM to Europe, this could be an option worth exploring. Even with the 100% bonus, you’re still paying slightly more per mile (1.65 cents when converted to US dollars as opposed to TPG’s valuation of 1.3 cents apiece). However, when comparing the value you could get out of those purchased miles, this could be a good deal.
Note that the purchase is processed by Points.com, so you won’t get any travel category bonuses from this purchase. Make sure to use the best non-bonus category credit card for your situation. Based on TPG’s valuations, the Blue Business Plus Credit Card from American Express’s 2x Membership Rewards or Chase Freedom Unlimited’s 1.5% cash back would be the most rewarding choice.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.