Equifax Will Let All Consumers Lock Their Credit for Free, for Life
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Equifax knows that it messed up big time, and its new interim CEO is trying to earn back the public’s trust. Paulino do Rego Barros Jr., the credit rating agency’s new boss as of this week, wrote an op-ed in The Wall Street Journal on Wednesday apologizing for the company’s massive data breach, when hackers gained access to the sensitive information of more than 143 million Americans.
On just his second day on the job since Richard Smith quit on Tuesday, Barros apologized to every consumer affected by the hack and offered some solutions. In the near term, Barros said Equifax’s responsibility is to provide timely, reassuring support to all affected customers. As for the longer-term plan, the company will focus on giving consumers the power to protect and control access to their personal credit information. This will come, he explained, in the form of being able to lock and unlock your credit file as much as you want for free, for life.
The service will be offered to all consumers by January 31, 2018. There will be no fee and no limit to how many times you lock and unlock your file. According to Barros, the new service will be “reliable, safe and simple.”
The interim CEO is also extending the deadlines for some customer-friendly account options. Now, through the end of January, you’ll be able to sign up for free credit freezes with Equifax. In addition, the sign-up period for the company’s TrustedID Premier service has been extended through the end of January.
“There is no magic cure for data breaches,” Barros wrote. “As we all know, every organization is at risk. When consumers have access to our new service, however, the cybercrime business will become a lot more difficult, and we are committed to doing what we can to help millions of consumers rest easier.”
Featured image by Smith Collection/Gado / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees