Can I Earn Points and Miles With Credit Card Checks?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
“Reader Questions” are answered twice a week — Mondays and Fridays — by TPG Senior Writer Julian Mark Kheel.
Most folks use credit cards entirely for making purchases, and if you’re smart, you pay your balance in full every single month. But what about those credit card checks that sometimes arrive in the mail? Will using those checks also help you earn travel rewards, as TPG reader Dave asked us in an email…
A lot of credit cards will give you checks to use in addition to the plastic card. Do those checks usually count toward rewards points?TPG Reader Dave
Credit card checks, which banks variously refer to as “convenience checks” or “access checks” or “balance transfer checks,” can look really tempting, right? Well, there are two great reasons not to use them in an effort to earn points or miles.
The first reason is straightforward — you will not earn travel rewards when using a credit card check. Almost every credit card account specifically notes in its terms and conditions that only purchases earn rewards, and many specifically state that checks are excluded. Even the checks themselves will often have disclaimers along the lines of “miles cannot be earned with this offer.”
But the other reason not to use credit card checks — and this is separate from points and miles — is that unlike normal purchases made with a credit card, interest gets charged on credit card checks as soon as the transaction posts. That means you won’t get the usual “grace period” — the time between the purchase posting, your statement closing, and then up to as many as 30 days to actually pay the bill — before getting hit with interest. Instead, you’ll be paying interest right from day one.
Even if you got offered a low teaser rate with your checks or even 0% to start, the transaction fee for using the check — which can range from 1% to as high as 5% — means it’ll cost more to use the checks than it’s worth, especially since you’re not going to earn any points for the transaction anyway.
So, Dave, we don’t recommend using credit card checks at all since you can’t use them without paying some sort of interest or fee. But even if you decide to go ahead and use one, you can definitely assume you won’t get any travel rewards for doing so. Sorry for the bad news, but thanks for the question, and if you’re a TPG reader who’d like us to answer a question of your own, tweet us at @thepointsguy, message us on Facebook or email us at email@example.com.
Featured image by Tetra Images via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees