Dubai’s Flying Taxi Makes First Public Test Flight (Video)
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The city of Dubai (DXB) doesn’t have a ton of traffic, and its city planners intend to keep it that way. The first public test of the city’s pilotless flying taxi took place September 25 at Jumeirah Beach Park on the outskirts of the United Arab Emirates’ largest city. The two-passenger drone, called a Volocopter, flew unoccupied for about five minutes at a height of roughly 650 feet. Video of the test shows the aircraft set against the Dubai skyline:
The electric Volocopter is an vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) vehicle that can fly for roughly 30 minutes on a two-hour charge. The German company that designed the Volocopter claims that the aircraft’s 18 rotors are engineered to operate in a narrow frequency band so that together, they only sound as loud as two rotors — a key consideration for a flying vehicle intended for intercity use.
The Volocopter test is just Dubai’s latest attempt to encourage transportation innovation. Last year, the Dubai Roads and Transport Authority signed an agreement with Elon Musk’s Hyperloop One to connect the UAE cities of Dubai and Abu Dhabi with a hyperloop vacuum system that transports travelers through tubes at high speeds.
“Encouraging innovation and adopting the latest technologies contribute not only to the country’s development but also build bridges into the future,” said Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Crown Prince of Dubai, in a statement.
The Volocopter is just one of several VTOLs under development around the world. A3, the Silicon Valley-based division of Airbus, has stated it hopes to have a single-person flying car in production within the next four years. DeLorean Aerospace — run by the nephew of the man who created the iconic DeLorean, one of the best-known fictional flying cars from Back to the Future — has proposed a two-seat personal air transport vehicle called the DR-7 to roll out in the next five years. Last month, the start-up company Passenger Drone made test flights of its two-seat prototype with actual human passengers aboard.
As far as the Volocopter itself, its manufacturer aims to have the aircraft on the market by 2018, but you’ll likely still have to wait a bit before boarding a pilotless taxi. While Dubai’s goal is to have 25% of its local passenger trips take place in driverless vehicles by 2030, there is still much to do in terms of setting regulations, safety standards and other logistics — so don’t delete those Uber or Lyft apps just yet.
H/T: National Post
Featured image by Nikolay Kazakov, Karlsruhe/Volocopter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.