Deal Alert: US Cities to China From $487 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Several airlines are offering fares to several Mainland Chinese cities for a great price. You can fly for as little as $487 round-trip between New York (JFK) and Beijing (PEK) on ANA, though plenty of other deals are available to other cities such as Shanghai (PVG), Chengdu (CTU) and Xi’an (XIY). The deals are generally available from the end of September through December 2017, but exact availability will depend on where you’re originating and where you’d like to travel to. As always, we recommend doing your research on Google Flights and then completing your booking directly through the airline when possible. If you don’t already have a visa for travel to China, we recommend using Allied Passport & Visa to help you expedite what can normally be a confusing and time-consuming process.
Airlines: American, ANA, Asiana, Delta, United
Routes: JFK/LAX/ORD/SFO to PEK/PVG/CTU/XIY
Cost: $487+ round-trip in economy
Dates: September – December 2017
Booking Link: Orbitz or Expedia
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York (JFK) to Beijing (PEK) for $487 round-trip on ANA:
Chicago (ORD) to Beijing (PEK) for $528 round-trip on American:
San Francisco (SFO) to Xi’an (XIY) for $564 round-trip on United:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Shanghai (PVG) for $566 round-trip on American:
Chicago (ORD) to Shanghai (PVG) for $584 round-trip on ANA:
New York (JFK) to Shanghai (PVG) for $586 round-trip on ANA:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Beijing (PEK) for $595 round-trip on Asiana:
Boston (BOS) to Shanghai (PVG) for $608 round-trip on Delta:
San Francisco (SFO) to Chengdu (CTU) for $654 round-trip on United:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.