This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend that you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Five-star airline Emirates is once again offering discounted fares for two people on its fifth-freedom route between Newark (EWR) and Athens (ATH). You can fly in economy from $746 per couple, which comes out to $373 per person. Note, however, you must book for two people — this deal isn’t valid for individual tickets.
We’re seeing availability from October through early December 2017, and again from January through March 2018. We’re also seeing this fare only on Emirates’ website, so it’ll be best to do your searching there rather than on Google Flights.
Route: EWR – ATH
Cost: $373 round-trip per person ($746 round-trip for two) in economy
Dates: October – December 2017; January – March 2018
Booking Link: Emirates
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Newark (EWR) to Athens (ATH) for $746 for two people ($373 per person) round-trip in October:
Newark (EWR) to Athens (ATH) for $746 for two people ($373 per person) round-trip in October/November:
Newark (EWR) to Athens (ATH) for $746 for two people ($373 per person) round-trip in December:
Newark (EWR) to Athens (ATH) for $746 for two people ($373 per person) round-trip in March:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express Premier Rewards Gold or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
Featured image by Pinghung Chen / EyeEm via Getty Images.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards