Deal Alert: West Coast to Hawaii From $356 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
If you live on the West Coast — or can get there without too much hassle — this is a great deal to jump on. It’s a fare we’ve seen to Hawaii before, but this time even more airlines are participating. You’ll find flights from multiple Pacific coast cities — including San Francisco (SFO), Seattle (SEA), Portland (PDX), Sacramento (SMF) and San Diego (SAN) — to Maui (OGG), Honolulu (HNL) and Kailua-Kona (KOA) on United, Delta, Hawaiian Airlines and even Virgin America starting as low as $356 round-trip.
Each airline has a different set of available cities and flights, but you’ll find most of these airfares at least from September through December, with some options all the way out to next May. You don’t need any tricks to get these prices, so just use Google Flights to find the dates you want, then book on Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline itself. Unfortunately, some options are in basic economy, so you may have to pay more or have the right credit card to avoid the pitfalls of that fare class.
Most itinerary options are either nonstop or have just one short connection in either San Francisco (SFO) or Los Angeles (LAX) and there’s no minimum stay requirement, so you can spend as much or as little time surfing and swimming with turtles as you’d like.
Airline: United Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Virgin America, Delta Airlines
Routes: OAK/SEA/PDX/SMF/SAN/SFO to HNL/OGG/KOA
Cost: $356+ round-trip in economy
Dates: September 2017-May 2018 (except the December holidays)
Booking Link: Orbitz, Expedia or with the airline directly
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Oakland (OAK) to Kahului, Maui (OGG) for $356 round-trip via Orbitz:
Seattle (SEA) to Honolulu, Oahu (HNL) for $362 round-trip via Orbitz:
Portland (PDX) to Kailua-Kona, Hawaii (KOA) for $362 round-trip in Delta Basic Economy via Orbitz:
Sacramento (SMF) to Kahului, Maui (OGG) for $362 round-trip via Orbitz:
San Diego (SAN) to Kahului, Maui (OGG) for $362 round-trip via Orbitz:
Seattle (SEA) to Kahului, Maui (OGG) for $362 round-trip via Orbitz:
San Francisco (SFO) to Kahului, Maui (OGG) for $396 round-trip via Orbitz:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
H/T: The Flight Deal
Featured image by M.M. Sweet/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees