Deal Alert: West Coast to Hawaii From $356 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
If you live on the West Coast — or can get there without too much hassle — this is a great deal to jump on. It’s a fare we’ve seen to Hawaii before, but this time even more airlines are participating. You’ll find flights from multiple Pacific coast cities — including San Francisco (SFO), Seattle (SEA), Portland (PDX), Sacramento (SMF) and San Diego (SAN) — to Maui (OGG), Honolulu (HNL) and Kailua-Kona (KOA) on United, Delta, Hawaiian Airlines and even Virgin America starting as low as $356 round-trip.
Each airline has a different set of available cities and flights, but you’ll find most of these airfares at least from September through December, with some options all the way out to next May. You don’t need any tricks to get these prices, so just use Google Flights to find the dates you want, then book on Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline itself. Unfortunately, some options are in basic economy, so you may have to pay more or have the right credit card to avoid the pitfalls of that fare class.
Most itinerary options are either nonstop or have just one short connection in either San Francisco (SFO) or Los Angeles (LAX) and there’s no minimum stay requirement, so you can spend as much or as little time surfing and swimming with turtles as you’d like.
Airline: United Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Virgin America, Delta Airlines
Routes: OAK/SEA/PDX/SMF/SAN/SFO to HNL/OGG/KOA
Cost: $356+ round-trip in economy
Dates: September 2017-May 2018 (except the December holidays)
Booking Link: Orbitz, Expedia or with the airline directly
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Oakland (OAK) to Kahului, Maui (OGG) for $356 round-trip via Orbitz:
Seattle (SEA) to Honolulu, Oahu (HNL) for $362 round-trip via Orbitz:
Portland (PDX) to Kailua-Kona, Hawaii (KOA) for $362 round-trip in Delta Basic Economy via Orbitz:
Sacramento (SMF) to Kahului, Maui (OGG) for $362 round-trip via Orbitz:
San Diego (SAN) to Kahului, Maui (OGG) for $362 round-trip via Orbitz:
Seattle (SEA) to Kahului, Maui (OGG) for $362 round-trip via Orbitz:
San Francisco (SFO) to Kahului, Maui (OGG) for $396 round-trip via Orbitz:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
H/T: The Flight Deal
Featured image by M.M. Sweet/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.