Incredible Deal Alert: Australia to Los Angeles in Business Class For $944 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
This is an unbelievable deal, and even if you don’t live in Australia or Los Angeles, you should take a good hard look at this one. Air New Zealand is currently selling business class seats for its flights from Sydney (SYD) and Brisbane (BNE) to Los Angeles (LAX) for just $944 round-trip.
The trick is that you must originate in Australia, not Los Angeles, which might make you think this deal isn’t useful. However, this price is so good that you might consider booking the round-trip starting in Australia to use for a return leg, and then book a flight to Australia using points, possibly even in economy. Then you can just throw away the return leg of the business class ticket and not use it — that’s not a maneuver we recommend doing on a regular basis, but it certainly shouldn’t be an issue if you do it just this one time. Air New Zealand has fully flat inward-facing herringbone business class seats with direct aisle access, so this is an incredible price even if you only use it in one direction.
We’re seeing these fares from October through May with quite a bit of availability, so just use Google Flights to find the dates you want, then book on Orbitz or Expedia (clicking through from Google Flights to Air New Zealand seems to cause the flights to reprice, so you’ll want to avoid doing it that way). All of these itineraries have one reasonable connection in Aukland, New Zealand (AKL). This deal will not last long, so book immediately!
Airline: Air New Zealand
Routes: SYD/BNE to LAX
Cost: $944+ round-trip in business
Dates: October 2017-May 2018
Booking Link: Orbitz or Expedia
Pay With: Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Sydney, Australia (SYD) to Los Angeles (LAX) for AU$1,188 (~US$944) round-trip in November 2017 via Expedia:
Sydney, Australia (SYD) to Los Angeles (LAX) for AU$1,188 (~US$944) round-trip in February 2018 via Expedia:
Brisbane, Australia (BNE) to Los Angeles (LAX) for AU$1,189 (~US$944) round-trip in March 2018 via Expedia:
Brisbane, Australia (BNE) to Los Angeles (LAX) for AU$1,190 (~US$945) round-trip in June 2018 via Expedia:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
Featured image by Gallo Images via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.