This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
This is an unbelievable deal, and even if you don’t live in Australia or Los Angeles, you should take a good hard look at this one. Air New Zealand is currently selling business class seats for its flights from Sydney (SYD) and Brisbane (BNE) to Los Angeles (LAX) for just $944 round-trip.
The trick is that you must originate in Australia, not Los Angeles, which might make you think this deal isn’t useful. However, this price is so good that you might consider booking the round-trip starting in Australia to use for a return leg, and then book a flight to Australia using points, possibly even in economy. Then you can just throw away the return leg of the business class ticket and not use it — that’s not a maneuver we recommend doing on a regular basis, but it certainly shouldn’t be an issue if you do it just this one time. Air New Zealand has fully flat inward-facing herringbone business class seats with direct aisle access, so this is an incredible price even if you only use it in one direction.
We’re seeing these fares from October through May with quite a bit of availability, so just use Google Flights to find the dates you want, then book on Orbitz or Expedia (clicking through from Google Flights to Air New Zealand seems to cause the flights to reprice, so you’ll want to avoid doing it that way). All of these itineraries have one reasonable connection in Aukland, New Zealand (AKL). This deal will not last long, so book immediately!
Airline: Air New Zealand
Routes: SYD/BNE to LAX
Cost: $944+ round-trip in business
Dates: October 2017-May 2018
Booking Link: Orbitz or Expedia
Pay With: Chase Sapphire Reserve, Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Sydney, Australia (SYD) to Los Angeles (LAX) for AU$1,188 (~US$944) round-trip in November 2017 via Expedia:
Sydney, Australia (SYD) to Los Angeles (LAX) for AU$1,188 (~US$944) round-trip in February 2018 via Expedia:
Brisbane, Australia (BNE) to Los Angeles (LAX) for AU$1,189 (~US$944) round-trip in March 2018 via Expedia:
Brisbane, Australia (BNE) to Los Angeles (LAX) for AU$1,190 (~US$945) round-trip in June 2018 via Expedia:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express Premier Rewards Gold or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
Featured image by Gallo Images via Getty Images.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees