Deal Alert: $78 RT Fares Between NYC and Chicago, Dallas, Miami and More
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
While we continue to see outstanding fares to Europe, you don’t need to leave the US to score a fantastic deal this fall and winter. Currently, American Airlines (and several other carriers) are offering nonstop flights between the New York City area and a handful of US destinations from just $78 round-trip. These are full-service fares — in some cases you can save even more by booking basic economy, but given how cheap these regular coach fares are it makes sense to spend a bit more to get free seat selection, carry-on bags and more.
Note that this is an outstanding opportunity to take advantage of the $100 Visa Infinite flight discount available with the Ritz-Carlton Rewards Credit Card — with the $100 discount, you’ll pay just $56 round-trip for two passengers, or $28 round-trip per person. At that rate it may make sense to book a flight or two even if you aren’t yet certain you can travel.
Airlines: American Airlines
Routes: NYC to/from DFW/MIA/ORD and more
Cost: $78+ round-trip in economy
Dates: November 2017 – February 2018
Booking Link: Orbitz or Expedia
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York (LGA) to Chicago (ORD) for $78 round-trip:
New York (LGA) to Dallas (DFW) for $80 round-trip:
New York (JFK) to Miami (MIA) for $82 round-trip:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
Featured image of South Beach courtesy of franckreporter via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.