This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re traveling through Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) anytime soon, it could take you far less time to go through security. CLEAR, the biometric-based membership service that offers travelers expedited security screening, is now available at Terminals 1 through 7 at LAX.
When CLEAR launched at LAX in June 2017, it was only available at five of the terminals in the airport — Terminals 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7. At the time of launch, CLEAR said that the service would be available at Terminals 1 and 5 in the coming weeks. And now, about three months later, CLEAR is officially available at all of the terminals at LAX with the exception of the Tom Bradley International Terminal, as reported by One Mile at a Time,
CLEAR allows you to verify your identity at a kiosk using biometric technology — either with a scan of your fingerprint or your iris. Once you’re verified, you can head to the front of the security lane, whether that is the PreCheck or regular screening line. Essentially, CLEAR can really speed up the airport experience. Plus, if you’re a member, you can bring your family members who are younger than 18 years old with you for free.
CLEAR is now available at a total of 24 airports: Atlanta (ATL), Austin (AUS), Baltimore (BWI), Dallas (DFW and DAL), Denver (DEN), Detroit (DTW), Houston (IAH and HOU), Las Vegas (LAS), Los Angeles (LAX), Miami (MIA), Minneapolis (MSP), New York (LGA, JFK and HPN), Orlando (MCO), Salt Lake City (SLC), San Antonio (SAT), San Francisco (SFO), San Jose (SJC), Seattle (SEA) and Washington, DC (IAD and DCA).
A CLEAR membership costs $179 annually (or $149 using promo code TPG149). However, if you’re a Delta Diamond Medallion member, you can get your CLEAR membership for free. If you have Delta Platinum, Gold or Silver Medallion status or if you’re a cardholder of the Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card, the Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Card, the Delta Reserve Credit Card or any of their business versions, you can get a discounted membership for $79 annually. If you’re a basic Delta SkyMiles member, you can get an annual rate of $99.
Image by Justin Sullivan / Getty Images.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards