This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re traveling through Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) anytime soon, it could take you far less time to go through security. CLEAR, the biometric-based membership service that offers travelers expedited security screening, is now available at Terminals 1 through 7 at LAX.
When CLEAR launched at LAX in June 2017, it was only available at five of the terminals in the airport — Terminals 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7. At the time of launch, CLEAR said that the service would be available at Terminals 1 and 5 in the coming weeks. And now, about three months later, CLEAR is officially available at all of the terminals at LAX with the exception of the Tom Bradley International Terminal, as reported by One Mile at a Time,
CLEAR allows you to verify your identity at a kiosk using biometric technology — either with a scan of your fingerprint or your iris. Once you’re verified, you can head to the front of the security lane, whether that is the PreCheck or regular screening line. Essentially, CLEAR can really speed up the airport experience. Plus, if you’re a member, you can bring your family members who are younger than 18 years old with you for free.
CLEAR is now available at a total of 24 airports: Atlanta (ATL), Austin (AUS), Baltimore (BWI), Dallas (DFW and DAL), Denver (DEN), Detroit (DTW), Houston (IAH and HOU), Las Vegas (LAS), Los Angeles (LAX), Miami (MIA), Minneapolis (MSP), New York (LGA, JFK and HPN), Orlando (MCO), Salt Lake City (SLC), San Antonio (SAT), San Francisco (SFO), San Jose (SJC), Seattle (SEA) and Washington, DC (IAD and DCA).
A CLEAR membership costs $179 annually (or $149 using promo code TPG149). However, if you’re a Delta Diamond Medallion member, you can get your CLEAR membership for free. If you have Delta Platinum, Gold or Silver Medallion status or if you’re a cardholder of the Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card, the Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Card, the Delta Reserve Credit Card or any of their business versions, you can get a discounted membership for $79 annually. If you’re a basic Delta SkyMiles member, you can get an annual rate of $99.
Image by Justin Sullivan / Getty Images.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees