Bid Miles for the Final United 747 Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Tuesday, November 7, United will operate a special “retro flight” from San Francisco (SFO) to Honolulu (HNL), recreating the carrier’s original Queen of the Skies flight from July 23, 1970. This is the very last time United’s 747 will carry paying passengers. You can expect flight attendants in 1970s-era uniforms, a ’70s-inspired menu and special in-flight entertainment.
While paid tickets sold out within minutes, as my good friend Mommy Points discovered, United is currently running two auctions for economy seats on the final flight. There are two listings — the first, currently priced at 150,000 miles, includes early boarding, while the second, now running 125,000 miles, does not.
Both packages include:
- Domestic economy airfare to SFO on Monday, November 6
- A hotel room on Monday night
- Economy airfare for two on the final 747 flight to Honolulu on Tuesday, November 7
- A hotel room for Tuesday and Wednesday nights in Honolulu
- Domestic economy airfare for two back to the winner’s home city
You’ll also get a “commemorative piece” of a Boeing 747 delivered to your home, though it isn’t clear whether or not this component will be coming from a United plane. Note that there won’t be an option to select seats in Economy Plus, even for elites.
The auction runs through October 17 at 12:00pm Central Time — with nearly 20 days to go, it’s likely that we’ll see the bidding climb far beyond the current levels, given the unique nature of this final flight.
I’ll be joining this flight as well — thanks to some constant refreshing, I was even able to score seat 1A, so please come say hello if you manage to get on board UA Flight 747!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.