This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Tuesday, November 7, United will operate a special “retro flight” from San Francisco (SFO) to Honolulu (HNL), recreating the carrier’s original Queen of the Skies flight from July 23, 1970. This is the very last time United’s 747 will carry paying passengers. You can expect flight attendants in 1970s-era uniforms, a ’70s-inspired menu and special in-flight entertainment.
While paid tickets sold out within minutes, as my good friend Mommy Points discovered, United is currently running two auctions for economy seats on the final flight. There are two listings — the first, currently priced at 150,000 miles, includes early boarding, while the second, now running 125,000 miles, does not.
Both packages include:
- Domestic economy airfare to SFO on Monday, November 6
- A hotel room on Monday night
- Economy airfare for two on the final 747 flight to Honolulu on Tuesday, November 7
- A hotel room for Tuesday and Wednesday nights in Honolulu
- Domestic economy airfare for two back to the winner’s home city
You’ll also get a “commemorative piece” of a Boeing 747 delivered to your home, though it isn’t clear whether or not this component will be coming from a United plane. Note that there won’t be an option to select seats in Economy Plus, even for elites.
The auction runs through October 17 at 12:00pm Central Time — with nearly 20 days to go, it’s likely that we’ll see the bidding climb far beyond the current levels, given the unique nature of this final flight.
I’ll be joining this flight as well — thanks to some constant refreshing, I was even able to score seat 1A, so please come say hello if you manage to get on board UA Flight 747!
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees