This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Tuesday, November 7, United will operate a special “retro flight” from San Francisco (SFO) to Honolulu (HNL), recreating the carrier’s original Queen of the Skies flight from July 23, 1970. This is the very last time United’s 747 will carry paying passengers. You can expect flight attendants in 1970s-era uniforms, a ’70s-inspired menu and special in-flight entertainment.
While paid tickets sold out within minutes, as my good friend Mommy Points discovered, United is currently running two auctions for economy seats on the final flight. There are two listings — the first, currently priced at 150,000 miles, includes early boarding, while the second, now running 125,000 miles, does not.
Both packages include:
- Domestic economy airfare to SFO on Monday, November 6
- A hotel room on Monday night
- Economy airfare for two on the final 747 flight to Honolulu on Tuesday, November 7
- A hotel room for Tuesday and Wednesday nights in Honolulu
- Domestic economy airfare for two back to the winner’s home city
You’ll also get a “commemorative piece” of a Boeing 747 delivered to your home, though it isn’t clear whether or not this component will be coming from a United plane. Note that there won’t be an option to select seats in Economy Plus, even for elites.
The auction runs through October 17 at 12:00pm Central Time — with nearly 20 days to go, it’s likely that we’ll see the bidding climb far beyond the current levels, given the unique nature of this final flight.
I’ll be joining this flight as well — thanks to some constant refreshing, I was even able to score seat 1A, so please come say hello if you manage to get on board UA Flight 747!
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards