Banks Waiving Fees for Hurricane Harvey Victims
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of the things I worry about the most in the wake of a disaster like Hurricane Harvey is how in the world folks will get back on their feet financially, especially if they are out of work for a period of time and don’t have an emergency fund. Heck, even if you do have a decent emergency fund, it goes really quickly in the event of an actual emergency. You know, like one where your house and job literally float away as opposed to an unexpected air conditioner or car repair that often qualifies as a bit of a financial emergency. Money is just money, but not having it and not being able to pay your bills often makes it understandably impossible to calm your mind and focus on other things.
While it will take many people and organizations working to together to get these most impacted families back on their feet again, I am glad to see many banks are at least making this first part of the crisis a little easier for their customers by waiving many fees, largely without even needing to be asked. Many also seem willing to make other arrangements beyond these automatic fee waivers if you give them a call, but the ones that are just automatically waiving fees the way that AT&T is waiving data overages get big thumbs up from me. Trust me, folks in this area do not have time to call up their credit card companies and ask for help quite yet, so automatic waivers are the way to go.
Bank of America:
We recognize that calling may be difficult, so you don’t need to contact us for fee refunds. Please rest assured that we will automatically refund the following fees in the impacted counties in Texas:
- Deposit fees for overdraft, non-sufficient funds, Overdraft Protection transfers, extended overdrawn balance charges, and non-Bank of America ATM fees
- Debit card rush and replacement fees
- Fees for early withdrawal on a CD
- Bank of America® credit card cash advance fees and Overdraft Protection transfer fees on credit cards
- Late payment fees on credit cards, and some consumer and small business loans, including home equity, auto and personal loans
Our Client Assistance team can also help you with solutions, including:
- Credit line increases on your existing Bank of America Visa® and MasterCard® credit cards
- Modified or extended payments on loans, credit cards or lines of credit
Here’s how we’re helping customers in FEMA-declared areas:
- Automatically waiving or refunding late fees for mortgage, credit card, business banking and auto loans and leases through September 10, 2017.
- Automatically waiving or refunding overdraft, service and ATM fees on consumer and business checking and savings accounts, also through September 10.
- Automatically starting a 90-day grace period on mortgage and home equity payments. We won’t charge fees or send negative information to the credit bureaus. Please call us as soon as your situation stabilizes. We’ll work together to get you back on track.
- Opening branches as quickly as possible so you can talk to bankers and get to your safe deposit box. We started Wednesday, but this is going to take time—we appreciate your patience. Please check your Chase Mobile app® or the Branch Locator for locations now open near you.
- Keeping our ATMs stocked with cash as much as possible.
You can talk to a representative at the following numbers:
- 1-800-TO-WELLS (1-800-869-3557), 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Wells Fargo Home Lending customers: 1-888-818-9147, Monday through Friday 6 am – 10 pm, Saturday 8 am – 2 pm Central
We are also waiving ATM fees for customers in the areas affected by Hurricane Harvey, as well as reversing other fees — such as late fees — for all of our consumer products, including credit cards and checking accounts.
I didn’t find this sort of information available for all of the major banks quite yet, but I imagine most of them will respond with similar offers if you ask, though it is much better when they set it up so you don’t have to even ask.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees