This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airline passengers worldwide should see some relief in their travels. Early Thursday morning, IT firm Amadeus reported that it faced a “network issue,” which caused passengers around the world to have their check-in processes disrupted — and therefore, significant delays. Now, Amadeus is saying that the issue has been resolved.
“Amadeus can confirm that our systems are recovered and are now functioning normally,” an Amadeus spokesperson said. “During the morning, we experienced a network issue that caused disruption to some of our systems. As a result of the incident, customers experienced disruption to certain services.”
At this time, the company isn’t commenting on the cause of the network issue, but it did say that it was not due to a data or security issue — hacking isn’t believed to be a cause of the disruption. The IT firm Altea’s software is used by more than 100 airlines around the world.
A Southwest spokesperson said that its systems have stabilized around 9:15am ET. It also said that it’s not experiencing any major delays to its operation.
If you’re traveling today, it could still be a good idea to call your airline ahead of time to make sure there that it isn’t having any residual delays or issues with its check-in process.
Amadeus apologized to travelers for any inconvenience the network issue may have caused.
Featured image by NurPhoto / Getty Images.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees