This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airline passengers worldwide should see some relief in their travels. Early Thursday morning, IT firm Amadeus reported that it faced a “network issue,” which caused passengers around the world to have their check-in processes disrupted — and therefore, significant delays. Now, Amadeus is saying that the issue has been resolved.
“Amadeus can confirm that our systems are recovered and are now functioning normally,” an Amadeus spokesperson said. “During the morning, we experienced a network issue that caused disruption to some of our systems. As a result of the incident, customers experienced disruption to certain services.”
At this time, the company isn’t commenting on the cause of the network issue, but it did say that it was not due to a data or security issue — hacking isn’t believed to be a cause of the disruption. The IT firm Altea’s software is used by more than 100 airlines around the world.
A Southwest spokesperson said that its systems have stabilized around 9:15am ET. It also said that it’s not experiencing any major delays to its operation.
If you’re traveling today, it could still be a good idea to call your airline ahead of time to make sure there that it isn’t having any residual delays or issues with its check-in process.
Amadeus apologized to travelers for any inconvenience the network issue may have caused.
Featured image by NurPhoto / Getty Images.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees