This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airline passengers worldwide should see some relief in their travels. Early Thursday morning, IT firm Amadeus reported that it faced a “network issue,” which caused passengers around the world to have their check-in processes disrupted — and therefore, significant delays. Now, Amadeus is saying that the issue has been resolved.
“Amadeus can confirm that our systems are recovered and are now functioning normally,” an Amadeus spokesperson said. “During the morning, we experienced a network issue that caused disruption to some of our systems. As a result of the incident, customers experienced disruption to certain services.”
At this time, the company isn’t commenting on the cause of the network issue, but it did say that it was not due to a data or security issue — hacking isn’t believed to be a cause of the disruption. The IT firm Altea’s software is used by more than 100 airlines around the world.
A Southwest spokesperson said that its systems have stabilized around 9:15am ET. It also said that it’s not experiencing any major delays to its operation.
If you’re traveling today, it could still be a good idea to call your airline ahead of time to make sure there that it isn’t having any residual delays or issues with its check-in process.
Amadeus apologized to travelers for any inconvenience the network issue may have caused.
Featured image by NurPhoto / Getty Images.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards