Act Fast: Book 9,000 Membership Rewards-Points Flights to Hawaii
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of our favorite British Airways Avios sweet spots is 12,500 Avios for nonstop flights between California and Hawaii on American Airlines or Alaska Airlines. For just a few more days, this option is especially sweet. If you utilize the 40% transfer bonus from American Express Membership Rewards to Avios ending Sunday, these flights will cost just under 9,000 Membership Rewards points.
There’s quite a few routes that qualify for this sweet spot. Here are just some of the sub-3,000 mile nonstop flights from the West Coast to Hawaii on American Airlines and Alaska Airlines:
Since those lines can be hard to follow, here’s that in text form:
- Anchorage (ANC): Honolulu (HNL) — not mapped
- Los Angeles (LAX): Honolulu (HNL), Kona (KOA), Lihue, Kauai (LIH), Kahului, Maui (OGG)
- Oakland (OAK): Honolulu (HNL), Kona (KOA), Lihue, Kauai (LIH), Kahului, Maui (OGG)
- Portland (PDX): Honolulu (HNL), Kahului, Maui (OGG)
- Phoenix (PHX): Honolulu (HNL), Kona (KOA), Lihue, Kauai (LIH), Kahului, Maui (OGG)
- San Diego (SAN): Honolulu (HNL), Kona (KOA), Lihue, Kauai (LIH), Kahului, Maui (OGG)
- Seattle (SEA): Honolulu (HNL), Kona (KOA), Lihue, Kauai (LIH), Kahului, Maui (OGG)
- San Jose (SJC): Honolulu (HNL), Kona (KOA), Lihue, Kauai (LIH), Kahului, Maui (OGG)
- Sacramento (SMF): Kahului, Maui (OGG)
For American Airlines flights, you can use AA.com, British Airways website or Qantas’ website to search award availability. And, there are some routes with a lot of availability:
Once you’re ready to book, here’s a step-by-step guide on how to book awards on British Airways’ website.
Alaska Airlines award availability is one of a few British Airways partners that doesn’t show up on BA’s website. So, you’re going to have to search for award availability on AA.com or Alaska’s website. You’ll have to call British Airways to book these awards.
Sadly, this West Coast to Hawaii sweet spot isn’t as good in first class. These nonstops will run 37,500 Avios each way in American Airlines first class — or around 27,000 Avios transferred before September 17. But, it could be worse. Before American Airlines changed the coding on its “domestic first class” flights from F (first) to J (business), an award flight in the same seat would have cost 50,000 Avios.
That’s the same re-coding that’s helped lead to the excellent 10,750 Membership Rewards in a lie-flat business class seat sweet spot that’s also getting less sweet on Sunday.
Whether it’s heading to Hawaii for under 9,000 Membership Rewards or getting a taste of American Airlines’ best business class seats for 10,750 MR points, you’ve only got a couple of days left to act.
Featured image by James R.D. Scott / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees