This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re sprawled across the couch right now, flipping through TV channels debating a Law & Order marathon and wondering what fun and free activity you might use to fill your Saturday, look no further because September 23 is Museum Day Live!
Smithsonian Magazine, in partnership with Microsoft, is offering free admission for today only to more than 1,300 museums across the United States. You can request up to two free tickets by going to www.smithsonianmag.com/museumday/museum-day-live-2017, where you’ll find tools to search for participating museums in your area. Once you’ve picked the museum you want to visit, just register and download your tickets — all at no cost.
There are some well known and impressive museums included on the list, such as the Intrepid Air and Space Museum in New York City (which has its own Concorde and Space Shuttle exhibits), the Smithsonian American Art Museum in Washington, D.C., the Memphis Music Hall of Fame and even the International Bowling Museum and Hall of Fame in Arlington, Texas. Since tickets to some of these museums can normally go for up to $24 per person and higher, you’ll be saving some significant cash by taking advantage of this free offer.
Keep in mind that only the general admission tickets are free; any add-ons such as entrance to special exhibits will still need to be purchased for a fee. Also, as you might imagine, this is a popular promotion in its 13th year, so expect long lines when you visit some of the bigger museums on the list. But you can’t beat the price, so turn off that television and head over to a museum today.
Featured image courtesy of Frazer Harrison/Getty Images.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees