This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re sprawled across the couch right now, flipping through TV channels debating a Law & Order marathon and wondering what fun and free activity you might use to fill your Saturday, look no further because September 23 is Museum Day Live!
Smithsonian Magazine, in partnership with Microsoft, is offering free admission for today only to more than 1,300 museums across the United States. You can request up to two free tickets by going to www.smithsonianmag.com/museumday/museum-day-live-2017, where you’ll find tools to search for participating museums in your area. Once you’ve picked the museum you want to visit, just register and download your tickets — all at no cost.
There are some well known and impressive museums included on the list, such as the Intrepid Air and Space Museum in New York City (which has its own Concorde and Space Shuttle exhibits), the Smithsonian American Art Museum in Washington, D.C., the Memphis Music Hall of Fame and even the International Bowling Museum and Hall of Fame in Arlington, Texas. Since tickets to some of these museums can normally go for up to $24 per person and higher, you’ll be saving some significant cash by taking advantage of this free offer.
Keep in mind that only the general admission tickets are free; any add-ons such as entrance to special exhibits will still need to be purchased for a fee. Also, as you might imagine, this is a popular promotion in its 13th year, so expect long lines when you visit some of the bigger museums on the list. But you can’t beat the price, so turn off that television and head over to a museum today.
Featured image courtesy of Frazer Harrison/Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards