Watch a Pilot Land an A320 With No Forward Visibility
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Landing a plane in bad weather is already a tall order, but landing it without any forward visibility? Impossible, right? Apparently not, as is displayed in this crazy aviation video of a Ukrainian pilot who successfully landed his hail-damaged jet with almost no visual cues.
Only 10 minutes after taking off from Istanbul’s Ataturk Airport (IST) en route to Cyprus, Captain Alexander Akopov and his packed AtlasGlobal flight encountered a freak hail storm that shattered the Airbus A320’s nose cone and badly pockmarked the windshield, effectively blinding the pilots except for instruments. Faced with few options besides turning back, Akopov radioed ATC at IST to get permission to land. The storm had gotten so bad that the airport closed down, but Akopov was given clearance to land because of the flight’s extreme circumstances.
Miraculously, Akopov was able to land the jet using only his instruments and the unbroken side window. And, nobody on the plane was hurt in the incident. Akopov was awarded the Order of Courage by Ukraine’s President Petro Poroshenko for his actions.
Featured image taken from video.
H/T: The Independent
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No delivery fees for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with a DashPass subscription from DoorDash -over a $100 value. Activate with your Chase Sapphire card by December 31, 2021.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.