This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Landing a plane in bad weather is already a tall order, but landing it without any forward visibility? Impossible, right? Apparently not, as is displayed in this crazy aviation video of a Ukrainian pilot who successfully landed his hail-damaged jet with almost no visual cues.
Only 10 minutes after taking off from Istanbul’s Ataturk Airport (IST) en route to Cyprus, Captain Alexander Akopov and his packed AtlasGlobal flight encountered a freak hail storm that shattered the Airbus A320’s nose cone and badly pockmarked the windshield, effectively blinding the pilots except for instruments. Faced with few options besides turning back, Akopov radioed ATC at IST to get permission to land. The storm had gotten so bad that the airport closed down, but Akopov was given clearance to land because of the flight’s extreme circumstances.
Miraculously, Akopov was able to land the jet using only his instruments and the unbroken side window. And, nobody on the plane was hurt in the incident. Akopov was awarded the Order of Courage by Ukraine’s President Petro Poroshenko for his actions.
Featured image taken from video.
H/T: The Independent
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards