This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Landing a plane in bad weather is already a tall order, but landing it without any forward visibility? Impossible, right? Apparently not, as is displayed in this crazy aviation video of a Ukrainian pilot who successfully landed his hail-damaged jet with almost no visual cues.
Only 10 minutes after taking off from Istanbul’s Ataturk Airport (IST) en route to Cyprus, Captain Alexander Akopov and his packed AtlasGlobal flight encountered a freak hail storm that shattered the Airbus A320’s nose cone and badly pockmarked the windshield, effectively blinding the pilots except for instruments. Faced with few options besides turning back, Akopov radioed ATC at IST to get permission to land. The storm had gotten so bad that the airport closed down, but Akopov was given clearance to land because of the flight’s extreme circumstances.
Miraculously, Akopov was able to land the jet using only his instruments and the unbroken side window. And, nobody on the plane was hurt in the incident. Akopov was awarded the Order of Courage by Ukraine’s President Petro Poroshenko for his actions.
Featured image taken from video.
H/T: The Independent
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees