This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Landing a plane in bad weather is already a tall order, but landing it without any forward visibility? Impossible, right? Apparently not, as is displayed in this crazy aviation video of a Ukrainian pilot who successfully landed his hail-damaged jet with almost no visual cues.
Only 10 minutes after taking off from Istanbul’s Ataturk Airport (IST) en route to Cyprus, Captain Alexander Akopov and his packed AtlasGlobal flight encountered a freak hail storm that shattered the Airbus A320’s nose cone and badly pockmarked the windshield, effectively blinding the pilots except for instruments. Faced with few options besides turning back, Akopov radioed ATC at IST to get permission to land. The storm had gotten so bad that the airport closed down, but Akopov was given clearance to land because of the flight’s extreme circumstances.
Miraculously, Akopov was able to land the jet using only his instruments and the unbroken side window. And, nobody on the plane was hurt in the incident. Akopov was awarded the Order of Courage by Ukraine’s President Petro Poroshenko for his actions.
Featured image taken from video.
H/T: The Independent
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees