Deal Alert: US Cities to Mumbai, India From $526 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available – View the current offers here
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Discounted fares to India aren’t the easiest to find, especially from the West Coast. However, several Star Alliance carriers including Air China, Turkish Airlines and United are currently selling round-trips from Los Angeles (LAX), New York (JFK) and San Francisco (SFO) to Mumbai (BOM) starting at just $526. The fare is shown as available for stays of six nights or more. These fares are available from September through November 2017 and then again from March through April 2018
If you choose a flight on United metal, you’ll connect in Newark (EWR), which means that you’ll be on one of the longest nonstop routes United flies on its Boeing 777s, but the good news is that these flights are operated by the 777-200ER model. These older Triple Sevens, some of which United inherited from its acquisition of Continental, still feature nine-abreast seating in Economy, unlike the new 777-300ERs, which have 10 seats per row.
Use Google Flights to find the dates that work with you, and then complete booking through an OTA such as Expedia or Orbitz.
Airline: Air China, Turkish Airlines, United
Routes: LAX/JFK/SFO to BOM
Cost: $526+ round-trip in economy
Dates: September – November 2017, March – April 2018
Booking Link: Orbitz or Expedia
Pay With: Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York (JFK) to Mumbai (BOM) for $526 round-trip on Air China:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Mumbai (BOM) for $718 round-trip on Turkish Airlines:
San Francisco (SFO) to Mumbai (BOM) for $722 round-trip on United:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card or Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
Featured image of The Gateway of india, credit Kelsy Chauvin / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.