Deal Alert: US Cities to Mumbai, India From $526 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available – View the current offers here
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Discounted fares to India aren’t the easiest to find, especially from the West Coast. However, several Star Alliance carriers including Air China, Turkish Airlines and United are currently selling round-trips from Los Angeles (LAX), New York (JFK) and San Francisco (SFO) to Mumbai (BOM) starting at just $526. The fare is shown as available for stays of six nights or more. These fares are available from September through November 2017 and then again from March through April 2018
If you choose a flight on United metal, you’ll connect in Newark (EWR), which means that you’ll be on one of the longest nonstop routes United flies on its Boeing 777s, but the good news is that these flights are operated by the 777-200ER model. These older Triple Sevens, some of which United inherited from its acquisition of Continental, still feature nine-abreast seating in Economy, unlike the new 777-300ERs, which have 10 seats per row.
Use Google Flights to find the dates that work with you, and then complete booking through an OTA such as Expedia or Orbitz.
Airline: Air China, Turkish Airlines, United
Routes: LAX/JFK/SFO to BOM
Cost: $526+ round-trip in economy
Dates: September – November 2017, March – April 2018
Booking Link: Orbitz or Expedia
Pay With: Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York (JFK) to Mumbai (BOM) for $526 round-trip on Air China:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Mumbai (BOM) for $718 round-trip on Turkish Airlines:
San Francisco (SFO) to Mumbai (BOM) for $722 round-trip on United:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card or Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
Featured image of The Gateway of india, credit Kelsy Chauvin / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees