Uniqlo to Sell Clothes from Airport Vending Machines
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ever gotten through TSA and realized that you left behind your favorite shirt or jacket? Fortunately for forgetful travelers, hip Japanese clothing retailer Uniqlo plans to expand its footprint with vending machines… in airports.
Since Wednesday, travelers have been able to use the touchscreen at a “Uniqlo To Go” machine located in Oakland International Airport (OAK) to purchase two of the brand’s signature items — the HEATTECH t-shirt and the Ultra Light Down jacket for about $15 and $70 respectively — in a variety of sizes and colors. Once the items are purchased, the six-foot-high vending machine then dispenses the clothes in a small box or can. The clothes are designed to be practical — they’re warm, yet lightweight — and will easily fit in even the smallest of carry-ons. Worried about buyer’s remorse? Impulsive shoppers can rest assured in knowing that any purchase can be returned via mail or to a Uniqlo store.
Uniqlo isn’t the first retailer to set its sights on vending machines; Best Buy is another such retailer that sells flight essentials like noise-canceling headphones and other electronics via machine in airport terminals. Benefit Cosmetics’ pink vending machines tend to stand out in airports and are especially handy for those in search of makeup on the go.
After Uniqlo opened more than 45 stores during its expansion into the US, it struggled to attract shoppers aside from its core audience. The company hopes that a temporary presence with pop-ups and vending machines in high-traffic locations like airports will entice customers to buy from the brand.
“We’re trying to understand where we can be more successful without making a big commitment,” Uniqlo’s US-based CMO, Marisol Tamaro, told The Wall Street Journal.
Over the next two months, the company plans to roll out 10 of the machines in popular US locations, including at the Hollywood and Highland Center in Los Angeles on August 10, George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) in Houston on August 17 and New York’s Queens Center mall on August 22.
Have you ever purchased anything from an airport vending machine? Let us know in the comments, below.
All photos courtesy of Uniqlo.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees