Southwest Is Compensating Elites for Its System Glitch
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Tuesday, we reported that Southwest elites were losing their priority boarding on flights due to a system glitch. As a result of Rapid Rewards numbers being deleted from future reservations, many A-List and A-List Preferred members were left with boarding positions in Groups B or C. Southwest didn’t give a timeline as to when the issue would be resolved, and now, Southwest is offering compensation for those who have been affected.
TPG reader Lauren E., a Southwest elite, said that the carrier reached out to her via email to apologize for the inconvenience and to reimburse her for her troubles. Here’s what the email said:
“During your recent travel with us you were unable to enjoy one of the perks of you tier status, priority check-in (automatic check-in 36 hours before your flight). This most likely led you to receiving a boarding position that was less typical than what you have come to expect as an A-List or A-List Preferred Member.
We consider you one of our top Customers, and if you were impacted at all by this issue, we fully recognize the frustration and the inconvenience it may have caused. As a tangible apology, we will be adding 1,500 Rapid Rewards points to your account, which will also count towards your 2018 tier qualification (A-List or A-List Preferred) if you have not yet qualified. The points will post to your account within the next 48 hours.”
It appears Southwest is sending the 1,500 bonus points to your account only if you’ve recently traveled with the carrier. While it continues to work on a solution for the issue, it’s nice that it’s giving elite members some form of compensation for the inconvenience, even if it’s not an overwhelmingly generous offer. If you’re flying in the near future with Southwest, you’ll need to manually check-in 24 hours in advance. Remember, if you’re a Southwest A-List or A-List Preferred member you are always allowed to board between Groups A and B. If you see that your boarding pass doesn’t have your status printed on it, see a Southwest gate agent in order to ensure you get that benefit.
Based on TPG’s most recent valuations, the 1,500 Rapid Rewards points are worth $22.50. Considering that the points count toward elite status qualification for 2018, it’s an added bonus. As a reminder, A-List status requires 25 one-way qualifying segments or 35,000 tier qualifying points and A-List Preferred status requires 50 one-way qualifying segments or 70,000 tier qualifying points in a qualifying year.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees