Southwest Is Compensating Elites for Its System Glitch
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Tuesday, we reported that Southwest elites were losing their priority boarding on flights due to a system glitch. As a result of Rapid Rewards numbers being deleted from future reservations, many A-List and A-List Preferred members were left with boarding positions in Groups B or C. Southwest didn’t give a timeline as to when the issue would be resolved, and now, Southwest is offering compensation for those who have been affected.
TPG reader Lauren E., a Southwest elite, said that the carrier reached out to her via email to apologize for the inconvenience and to reimburse her for her troubles. Here’s what the email said:
“During your recent travel with us you were unable to enjoy one of the perks of you tier status, priority check-in (automatic check-in 36 hours before your flight). This most likely led you to receiving a boarding position that was less typical than what you have come to expect as an A-List or A-List Preferred Member.
We consider you one of our top Customers, and if you were impacted at all by this issue, we fully recognize the frustration and the inconvenience it may have caused. As a tangible apology, we will be adding 1,500 Rapid Rewards points to your account, which will also count towards your 2018 tier qualification (A-List or A-List Preferred) if you have not yet qualified. The points will post to your account within the next 48 hours.”
It appears Southwest is sending the 1,500 bonus points to your account only if you’ve recently traveled with the carrier. While it continues to work on a solution for the issue, it’s nice that it’s giving elite members some form of compensation for the inconvenience, even if it’s not an overwhelmingly generous offer. If you’re flying in the near future with Southwest, you’ll need to manually check-in 24 hours in advance. Remember, if you’re a Southwest A-List or A-List Preferred member you are always allowed to board between Groups A and B. If you see that your boarding pass doesn’t have your status printed on it, see a Southwest gate agent in order to ensure you get that benefit.
Based on TPG’s most recent valuations, the 1,500 Rapid Rewards points are worth $22.50. Considering that the points count toward elite status qualification for 2018, it’s an added bonus. As a reminder, A-List status requires 25 one-way qualifying segments or 35,000 tier qualifying points and A-List Preferred status requires 50 one-way qualifying segments or 70,000 tier qualifying points in a qualifying year.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.