Teen Jumps off Plane in San Francisco, British Airways Systems Fail, the Next Air Force One and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you may have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy, and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you may have missed this week.
A 17-year-old boy traveling from Panama City (PTY) to San Francisco (SFO) opened the emergency exit door on board the Boeing 737 and proceeded to jump from the plane on to the tarmac. The teen was later arrested by authorities at SFO.
British Airways suffered yet another IT system failure earlier this week, which caused disruptions for thousands of passengers traveling through the carrier’s hub at London Heathrow Airport (LHR).
It seems that the US Air Force has found a replacement for Air Force One. The new airplanes will be a pair of Boeing 747-8 jetliners that have already been built but are currently sitting abandoned in the Mojave Desert.
Last week, Qatar Airways offered incredible business-class fares starting at just $555 round-trip. However, the airline canceled a portion of the flights that were purchased — even some that had been confirmed. It appears to have changed course again and has begun reinstating canceled tickets.
You have many options for redeeming ThankYou points, but if you want to get maximum value on these redemptions, you’re probably best off transferring them to one of the program’s 14 partners. Here’s a list of the six best premium redemptions using Citi ThankYou Rewards transfer partners.
Find out which cards are in Senior Points and Miles Contributor Nick Ewen’s wallet.
Both the Citi Prestige Card and the Citi Premier® Card are currently offering elevated sign-up bonuses. But, each offers a different set of perks — which one is best for your wallet?
If you find yourself traveling throughout Asia, chances are you’re going to have one or more flights on board one of the region’s numerous low-cost carriers. Read one TPG contributor’s full review of a flight on one such carrier — Peach — between Bangkok (BKK) and Okinawa (OKA).
In other news…
Get Up to 85,000 Bonus Miles With American’s Latest Promotion
This week, American Airlines shared the details of its latest buy miles promotion. With it, you can earn up to 85,000 bonus miles and get a 10% bonus when you purchase miles. If you’re interested in buying AAdvantage miles through this promo, you must do so between now and August 31, 2017.
Marriott’s Mobile App Now Lets You Book Stays With Points
The Marriott mobile app just received an update that (finally) allows users to book free nights with points. To utilize this new feature, simply search your destination and input the dates you’d like to stay, tap Special Rates and select Rewards Points and then book — the app will display your new account balance immediately.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees