The “Ghost Ship,” Delta’s First A350 Lands in the US, a New Premium Travel Rewards Card and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you may have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy, and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you may have missed this week.
When you think of luxury cruising, having to avoid pirates isn’t often at the top of your mind. However, one ship sailing from Sydney, Australia to Dubai, UAE had to become a “ghost ship” for 10 nights in order to avoid a potential attack from pirates.
Delta’s first brand-new A350-900 aircraft arrived in the US for the first time early this week. The aircraft received a overnight water-cannon salute as it rolled to a stop at the gate in the early hours of the morning.
It’s long been rumored that Bank of America was going to get in on the premium travel rewards credit card game, and this week those rumors were confirmed. Read all we know about the new card here.
Find out which cards made this month’s list of the top travel rewards credit cards.
Understanding how to earn and collect miles across partner airlines can be difficult if you’re new to the points and miles hobby. You need to learn the basics of these relationships and understand the process of booking partner award flights, which starts with finding award seat availability. Learn all the tips and tricks for finding availability within SkyTeam, the third major, global airline alliance.
Here’s everything you need to know about the Qatar Airways frequent flyer program Privilege Club and its loyalty currency, Qmiles.
Hong Kong Airlines will soon begin flights to Los Angeles (LAX) using its Airbus A350 aircraft. The airline already flies to North America via Vancouver (YVR), but this will be its first flight to the US.
In other news…
Earn 7,500 Bonus Wyndham Points When You Pay for Your Stay With Masterpass
Ethiopian Airlines to Retrofit 767s With Lie-Flat Seating in Biz
Ethiopian Airlines is refurbishing its remaining Boeing 767-300s with its lie-flat business-class product known as Cloud Nine. The hard product will be a slightly updated version of the seat it uses on its Boeing 787s (pictured above). Ethiopian’s 763s fly mainly on intra-Africa routes, to India and to select Middle Eastern destinations such as Beirut (BEY).
Featured image courtesy of Delta News Hub via Flickr.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.