The “Ghost Ship,” Delta’s First A350 Lands in the US, a New Premium Travel Rewards Card and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you may have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy, and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you may have missed this week.
When you think of luxury cruising, having to avoid pirates isn’t often at the top of your mind. However, one ship sailing from Sydney, Australia to Dubai, UAE had to become a “ghost ship” for 10 nights in order to avoid a potential attack from pirates.
Delta’s first brand-new A350-900 aircraft arrived in the US for the first time early this week. The aircraft received a overnight water-cannon salute as it rolled to a stop at the gate in the early hours of the morning.
It’s long been rumored that Bank of America was going to get in on the premium travel rewards credit card game, and this week those rumors were confirmed. Read all we know about the new card here.
Find out which cards made this month’s list of the top travel rewards credit cards.
Understanding how to earn and collect miles across partner airlines can be difficult if you’re new to the points and miles hobby. You need to learn the basics of these relationships and understand the process of booking partner award flights, which starts with finding award seat availability. Learn all the tips and tricks for finding availability within SkyTeam, the third major, global airline alliance.
Here’s everything you need to know about the Qatar Airways frequent flyer program Privilege Club and its loyalty currency, Qmiles.
Hong Kong Airlines will soon begin flights to Los Angeles (LAX) using its Airbus A350 aircraft. The airline already flies to North America via Vancouver (YVR), but this will be its first flight to the US.
In other news…
Earn 7,500 Bonus Wyndham Points When You Pay for Your Stay With Masterpass
Ethiopian Airlines to Retrofit 767s With Lie-Flat Seating in Biz
Ethiopian Airlines is refurbishing its remaining Boeing 767-300s with its lie-flat business-class product known as Cloud Nine. The hard product will be a slightly updated version of the seat it uses on its Boeing 787s (pictured above). Ethiopian’s 763s fly mainly on intra-Africa routes, to India and to select Middle Eastern destinations such as Beirut (BEY).
Featured image courtesy of Delta News Hub via Flickr.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees