Qatar to Upgrade Its Flights to Miami — but Only for a Month
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Like its fellow Oneworld alliance member — and frenemy — American Airlines, Qatar has a widely varying business class hard product. On the lower end, American Airlines has its 767s and Qatar has its pre-Qsuites 777. On the other end of the spectrum are American Airlines’ excellent 777-300ER and 787-9s seats and Qatar’s A350s and 787s.
US-based travelers currently only have three gateways at which they can experience (one of) Qatar’s best business-class products: New York (JFK), Philadelphia (PHL) and Boston (BOS) to Doha (DOH). Each of these utilize Qatar’s A350 which sports a 1-2-1 configuration in business class and is fitted with Wi-Fi. On its other US routes, Qatar operates a 2-2-2 arranged Boeing 777 without Wi-Fi. While the service and food are going to be great on either plane, there’s no doubt that the A350 provides a better business class experience.
Well, here’s some good news for Miami-based travelers. As reported by One Mile At a Time, Qatar’s nonstop between MIA and DOH is getting upgraded from a 777 to an A350… but only for one month. As reported by Routes Online, the change from a Boeing 777-300ER to an Airbus A350-900XWB will be effective from September 1-30.
These changes aren’t showing up yet in Google Flights or ITA Matrix — both sites still show the 777 operating this flight. However, when I searched these flights on Qatar’s website, the A350 is listed as the aircraft type.
If you’re not booked on this route yet, this is an excellent opportunity to check out Qatar’s excellent business-class product. You’ll get almost 14 hours of top-notch service from MIA to DOH and 15.5 hours on the return. And, Qatar has availability on this route for many dates in September, as you can find on British Airways’ website:
But, don’t use British Airways to actually book these flights — it’ll cost you 300,000 Avios and $546 round-trip to book. Instead, you can book this route for 70,000 AAdvantage miles plus $5.60 of taxes one-way. Just remember that you’re now limited to just three connecting flights before or after the transatlantic flight. Also, if you’re originating in MIA and flying a round-trip, you can take advantage of Japan Airlines’ award chart for a 100,000-mile business class round-trip on Qatar.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees