Qatar to Upgrade Its Flights to Miami — but Only for a Month
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Like its fellow Oneworld alliance member — and frenemy — American Airlines, Qatar has a widely varying business class hard product. On the lower end, American Airlines has its 767s and Qatar has its pre-Qsuites 777. On the other end of the spectrum are American Airlines’ excellent 777-300ER and 787-9s seats and Qatar’s A350s and 787s.
US-based travelers currently only have three gateways at which they can experience (one of) Qatar’s best business-class products: New York (JFK), Philadelphia (PHL) and Boston (BOS) to Doha (DOH). Each of these utilize Qatar’s A350 which sports a 1-2-1 configuration in business class and is fitted with Wi-Fi. On its other US routes, Qatar operates a 2-2-2 arranged Boeing 777 without Wi-Fi. While the service and food are going to be great on either plane, there’s no doubt that the A350 provides a better business class experience.
Well, here’s some good news for Miami-based travelers. As reported by One Mile At a Time, Qatar’s nonstop between MIA and DOH is getting upgraded from a 777 to an A350… but only for one month. As reported by Routes Online, the change from a Boeing 777-300ER to an Airbus A350-900XWB will be effective from September 1-30.
These changes aren’t showing up yet in Google Flights or ITA Matrix — both sites still show the 777 operating this flight. However, when I searched these flights on Qatar’s website, the A350 is listed as the aircraft type.
If you’re not booked on this route yet, this is an excellent opportunity to check out Qatar’s excellent business-class product. You’ll get almost 14 hours of top-notch service from MIA to DOH and 15.5 hours on the return. And, Qatar has availability on this route for many dates in September, as you can find on British Airways’ website:
But, don’t use British Airways to actually book these flights — it’ll cost you 300,000 Avios and $546 round-trip to book. Instead, you can book this route for 70,000 AAdvantage miles plus $5.60 of taxes one-way. Just remember that you’re now limited to just three connecting flights before or after the transatlantic flight. Also, if you’re originating in MIA and flying a round-trip, you can take advantage of Japan Airlines’ award chart for a 100,000-mile business class round-trip on Qatar.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.