Can I Book Norwegian Flights With Credit Card Points?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
“Reader Questions” are answered twice a week — Mondays and Fridays — by TPG Senior Writer Julian Mark Kheel.
Flexible bank points such as Citi ThankYou Rewards and Chase Ultimate Rewards are useful not just for transferring to travel partners, but for buying airfare directly. Except what happens if your airline doesn’t appear on the bank’s travel portal, as TPG reader Katya asked us via email…
Can I buy Norwegian tickets using Citi’s ThankYou points or Chase’s Ultimate Rewards?TPG Reader Katya
Most bank travel portals such as the Citi ThankYou Travel Center and Ultimate Rewards Travel are basically just online travel agencies (OTAs) like Orbitz and Expedia. And like those OTAs, they’re limited to the airlines that participate in global distribution systems (GDSes) like Sabre, Amadeus and Apollo.
So if an airline like Norwegian doesn’t participate in one of the widely used global distribution services, its flights won’t appear on most OTAs, including bank travel portals. That’s why you can’t find or book Norwegian flights online using Ultimate Rewards, ThankYou Rewards or Membership Rewards.
But there is a workaround — if you call the bank travel center directly, the phone agents can sometimes book flights for you on airlines that don’t appear on their online portals.
Not every airline is going to be available and an agent can’t always get the fare or flight you want. But often the agent can use an alternate system that gives them access to airlines that aren’t on their GDS, such as Southwest (which is another popular choice when booking by phone). I recently called and had both Citi and Chase phone agents tell me they could book Norwegian flights if I wanted them. Unfortunately the Amex Travel agent couldn’t do the same, though he said the Membership Rewards team might be willing to manually deduct the points for a ticket after the fact if I wanted.
So it can be worth calling and checking, depending on which airline you’re trying to book. Here are the phone numbers for the travel centers for each of the three major flexible point programs:
Chase Ultimate Rewards Travel
Citi ThankYou Travel Center
American Express Travel
Enjoy your low-cost flights to Europe, Katya, and thanks for the question. If you’re a TPG reader who’d like us to answer a question of your own, tweet us at @thepointsguy, message us on Facebook or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Featured image courtesy of Francis Dean/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees