New England Patriots Become First NFL Team to Own Aircraft Fleet
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Disclaimer: This article was written by a Philadelphia Eagles fan.
The already high-flying New England Patriots gave the rest of America yet another reason to hate them on Tuesday with news that the team had purchased two Boeing 767 jets to fly the team to games, according to ESPN. One plane will do the majority of the work, while the second will stick behind as a backup.
It’s major upgrade for the reigning Super Bowl champions — and currently the first NFL team to own its own fleet. ESPN reports that in the past, teams have chartered flights through carriers such as American Airlines and Miami Air International in deals as pricey as $4 million a year. It’s unclear how much the Patriots paid for the planes, which one Twitter user claims were purchased from American Airlines, but MarketWatch pegs a new 767 listing price at nearly $200 million.
It looks like the Patriots gave the planes a complete makeover: A photo of one of the jet’s fuselage reveals a red, white and blue livery with “Patriots” emblazoned on the side. Lest we forget how successful the franchise has been, the tail fin sports five Lombardi trophies and ESPN reports that the plane’s interior features a full set of first class-worthy lie-flat seats. According to ESPN’s sources, the planes can be rented out during the season, presumably around home games.
Featured image of Patriots’ plane courtesy of theScore via Twitter.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.