This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A federal judge has ordered a man to pay a fine of almost $100,000 to Hawaiian Airlines after his unruly behavior forced the crew to return back to Honolulu (HNL) on a New York-bound flight.
In February, James August plead guilty to interfering with flight crew members and flight attendants. He began serving three years of probation in June and was ordered to pay the $97,817 fine on Monday.
The incident occurred in November of 2016 on the Hawaiian daily nonstop flight between Honolulu (HNL) and New York (JFK), operated by an Airbus A330.
An FBI affidavit revealed that an intoxicated August had threatened his girlfriend, her children, passengers and flight attendants and crew members. He also hit a flight attendant on the shoulder — August had been drinking before the flight and continued while on board. Other passengers had to restrain August and at that point the captain was forced to turn the flight around and land at HNL.
August says he doesn’t remember the incident but did not dispute its occurrence.
The fine is meant to reimburse Hawaiian for the losses incurred to turn the plane back. Costs included fuel, maintenance, ground crew, a new flight crew and re-accommodating passengers on other flights. The penalty did not cover the $46,900 in meal vouchers that the carrier gave to affected passengers.
Travelers can face up to twenty years in prison and $250,000 in fines for interfering with flight crew members.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees