Hawaiian Airlines Passenger Fined $100,000 for Bad Behavior
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A federal judge has ordered a man to pay a fine of almost $100,000 to Hawaiian Airlines after his unruly behavior forced the crew to return back to Honolulu (HNL) on a New York-bound flight.
In February, James August plead guilty to interfering with flight crew members and flight attendants. He began serving three years of probation in June and was ordered to pay the $97,817 fine on Monday.
The incident occurred in November of 2016 on the Hawaiian daily nonstop flight between Honolulu (HNL) and New York (JFK), operated by an Airbus A330.
An FBI affidavit revealed that an intoxicated August had threatened his girlfriend, her children, passengers and flight attendants and crew members. He also hit a flight attendant on the shoulder — August had been drinking before the flight and continued while on board. Other passengers had to restrain August and at that point the captain was forced to turn the flight around and land at HNL.
August says he doesn’t remember the incident but did not dispute its occurrence.
The fine is meant to reimburse Hawaiian for the losses incurred to turn the plane back. Costs included fuel, maintenance, ground crew, a new flight crew and re-accommodating passengers on other flights. The penalty did not cover the $46,900 in meal vouchers that the carrier gave to affected passengers.
Travelers can face up to twenty years in prison and $250,000 in fines for interfering with flight crew members.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.