This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A federal judge has ordered a man to pay a fine of almost $100,000 to Hawaiian Airlines after his unruly behavior forced the crew to return back to Honolulu (HNL) on a New York-bound flight.
In February, James August plead guilty to interfering with flight crew members and flight attendants. He began serving three years of probation in June and was ordered to pay the $97,817 fine on Monday.
The incident occurred in November of 2016 on the Hawaiian daily nonstop flight between Honolulu (HNL) and New York (JFK), operated by an Airbus A330.
An FBI affidavit revealed that an intoxicated August had threatened his girlfriend, her children, passengers and flight attendants and crew members. He also hit a flight attendant on the shoulder — August had been drinking before the flight and continued while on board. Other passengers had to restrain August and at that point the captain was forced to turn the flight around and land at HNL.
August says he doesn’t remember the incident but did not dispute its occurrence.
The fine is meant to reimburse Hawaiian for the losses incurred to turn the plane back. Costs included fuel, maintenance, ground crew, a new flight crew and re-accommodating passengers on other flights. The penalty did not cover the $46,900 in meal vouchers that the carrier gave to affected passengers.
Travelers can face up to twenty years in prison and $250,000 in fines for interfering with flight crew members.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees