This French Castle Just Got an Eye-Popping Makeover
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Who says high society can’t have a little flair? One 19th-century castle in France’s Loire Valley got a whole new look this summer as street artists from around the world turned the nearly 100-acre estate into a masterpiece of urban art. At its center is the chateau itself which, after nearly 30 years of disrepair, was transformed into a dreamlike mural by Spanish pop artist Okuda San Miguel.
Lorsqu’un artiste espagnol Okuda San Miguel redonne des couleurs à un ancien collège espagnol en France @okudart #okudart #okudacastle #urbanart #urbanwork#hello_france #instaphoto #pressignylespins #festivallabelvalette #streetart #multicolor#castle #instaart #crane#popart #urbanart #colorfull #bluesky #sprayart#colorfull#super_france#castillo#okudasanmiguel#streetartist#label Valette @festivallabelvalette
A post shared by @clo6437 on
Titled Skull in the Mirror, the mural draws on Okuda’s distinct style with a whirlwind of color and shapes, polka dots that jump off the walls and two prism-like skulls that’ll stare down any visitor. It’s nothing like the unremarkable gray-and-brick castle that previously stood there; the new building looks as if it were torn from a parallel, psychedelic world. The surrealist work certainly stands out in the quiet Pressigny-les-Pins village, which is about 55 minutes from Paris by train.
*skull mirror* castle / video by @chopemdownfilms @spencershea +++ curated by @inkandmovement + @bynightgallery somewhere in France #okudasanmiguel #okudartchateau #okudacastle #okudart #+++ @labelvalettefestival / thx & love to my lovely assistants @marcosmandm @hattori_
A post shared by OKUDA SAN MIGUEL (@okudart) on
The piece was done to kick off the upcoming LaBel Valette festival, a French art expo put on by Urban Art Paris that celebrates street culture. More than 100 artists from around the world came to the festival’s grounds in late-June to give the Château de la Valette’s sprawling grounds new life. Their work will be featured on guided tours throughout the festival, which runs from September 1-3, 2017.
Featured image courtesy of Instagram user @clo6437.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees