This French Castle Just Got an Eye-Popping Makeover
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Who says high society can’t have a little flair? One 19th-century castle in France’s Loire Valley got a whole new look this summer as street artists from around the world turned the nearly 100-acre estate into a masterpiece of urban art. At its center is the chateau itself which, after nearly 30 years of disrepair, was transformed into a dreamlike mural by Spanish pop artist Okuda San Miguel.
Lorsqu’un artiste espagnol Okuda San Miguel redonne des couleurs à un ancien collège espagnol en France @okudart #okudart #okudacastle #urbanart #urbanwork#hello_france #instaphoto #pressignylespins #festivallabelvalette #streetart #multicolor#castle #instaart #crane#popart #urbanart #colorfull #bluesky #sprayart#colorfull#super_france#castillo#okudasanmiguel#streetartist#label Valette @festivallabelvalette
A post shared by @clo6437 on
Titled Skull in the Mirror, the mural draws on Okuda’s distinct style with a whirlwind of color and shapes, polka dots that jump off the walls and two prism-like skulls that’ll stare down any visitor. It’s nothing like the unremarkable gray-and-brick castle that previously stood there; the new building looks as if it were torn from a parallel, psychedelic world. The surrealist work certainly stands out in the quiet Pressigny-les-Pins village, which is about 55 minutes from Paris by train.
*skull mirror* castle / video by @chopemdownfilms @spencershea +++ curated by @inkandmovement + @bynightgallery somewhere in France #okudasanmiguel #okudartchateau #okudacastle #okudart #+++ @labelvalettefestival / thx & love to my lovely assistants @marcosmandm @hattori_
A post shared by OKUDA SAN MIGUEL (@okudart) on
The piece was done to kick off the upcoming LaBel Valette festival, a French art expo put on by Urban Art Paris that celebrates street culture. More than 100 artists from around the world came to the festival’s grounds in late-June to give the Château de la Valette’s sprawling grounds new life. Their work will be featured on guided tours throughout the festival, which runs from September 1-3, 2017.
Featured image courtesy of Instagram user @clo6437.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.