Florence Is the Latest Italian City to Take a Stand Against Badly Behaved Tourists
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
First it was Rome. Then it was Milan and Venice. Now, Florence has become the latest Italian city to make it clear that it won’t tolerate poorly behaved tourists, with the tourism superintendent Anna Paola Concia announcing #EnjoyRespectFirenze, a new campaign aimed at reminding visitors about some basic dos and don’ts when it comes to respecting Tuscany’s capital city. The plan at this point mainly addresses some very basic matters of good behavior, like not defacing city property or monuments and refraining from littering — behaviors that already carry individual fines of up to 500 euros, or about $590. It’s also important to the city that visitors treat Florentines with respect.
— The Florentine (@TheFlorentine) August 10, 2017
Earlier this year, the Renaissance city began hosing down areas like the steps of the Basilica di Santa Croce to keep visitors from treating them like park benches. “We want to put people off from camping out,” Florence mayor Dario Nardella told The Guardian at the time. “If they sit down, they’ll get wet. Instead of imposing fines, we thought this measure was more elegant.”
Graphics depicting reminders of how to behave properly in public spaces are already popping up around the city, with plans to get businesses that rely on tourists — like hotels, restaurants and tour guide services — to join in the endeavor in the near future.
Florence is one of five cities — alongside Milan, Rome, Naples and Venice — to enact such an initiative through a collaboration known as #EnjoyRespect. Venice was the first to test the waters, and early indicators suggest that it’s working. And that success has Florentines excited about what it might mean for the changes to their own city.
H/T: The Florentine
Featured image courtesy of Michael Gottschalk/Photothek via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.