Register Now for Double Miles on Certain Alaska Routes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Alaska’s MileagePlan just launched a new double miles promotion for travel starting September 1 on a few dozen select routes. For the six months from September 1 through February 28, you’ll earn double the standard miles on Alaska flights — but only if you registered before flying. Registration ends January 31, 2018, but there’s no reason not to register now.
There are around 50 routes that qualify for this promotion:
Note that flights must be marketed by Alaska Airlines or Virgin America and operated by Alaska Airlines, Virgin America, Horizon Air, or SkyWest. Unfortunately, if you booked an American Airlines-operated flight — even with an Alaska Airlines flight number — the flight will not be eligible for the double miles promotion.
TPG reader Rob Pearlman already used this promotion to score a great deal, where the miles he’s earning are almost worth as much as what he paid for his ticket:
I have a round-trip flight booked on Alaska’s new San Diego (SAN) to Austin (AUS) route to attend Austin City Limits. I originally booked it for $198 round-trip but re-booked it today for $158 thanks to what looks like a Southwest sale match. Today, I found out there’s a double miles promo for new routes including this one. My R class fare would normally earn 2,329 miles, but thanks to this promo I’ll earn 4,658 miles. On top of that, as an Alaska MVP Gold 75k, I’ll get an additional 2,199 miles for a total of 6,857. At TPG’s valuation of 1.9 cents per mile, I’m getting $137.14 in mileage value from a $158 flight, making this a great mileage run!
Nice job Rob! This is a great example of why Alaska’s MileagePlan continues to entice more travelers to jump ship from other airline mileage programs. Not only are the miles especially valuable, and there’s no revenue requirement for status, but also Alaska still credits miles based on the number of miles you fly — not based on how much you spent on the ticket.
Will this promo help you earn extra miles?
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.