Register Now for Double Miles on Certain Alaska Routes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Alaska’s MileagePlan just launched a new double miles promotion for travel starting September 1 on a few dozen select routes. For the six months from September 1 through February 28, you’ll earn double the standard miles on Alaska flights — but only if you registered before flying. Registration ends January 31, 2018, but there’s no reason not to register now.
There are around 50 routes that qualify for this promotion:
Note that flights must be marketed by Alaska Airlines or Virgin America and operated by Alaska Airlines, Virgin America, Horizon Air, or SkyWest. Unfortunately, if you booked an American Airlines-operated flight — even with an Alaska Airlines flight number — the flight will not be eligible for the double miles promotion.
TPG reader Rob Pearlman already used this promotion to score a great deal, where the miles he’s earning are almost worth as much as what he paid for his ticket:
I have a round-trip flight booked on Alaska’s new San Diego (SAN) to Austin (AUS) route to attend Austin City Limits. I originally booked it for $198 round-trip but re-booked it today for $158 thanks to what looks like a Southwest sale match. Today, I found out there’s a double miles promo for new routes including this one. My R class fare would normally earn 2,329 miles, but thanks to this promo I’ll earn 4,658 miles. On top of that, as an Alaska MVP Gold 75k, I’ll get an additional 2,199 miles for a total of 6,857. At TPG’s valuation of 1.9 cents per mile, I’m getting $137.14 in mileage value from a $158 flight, making this a great mileage run!
Nice job Rob! This is a great example of why Alaska’s MileagePlan continues to entice more travelers to jump ship from other airline mileage programs. Not only are the miles especially valuable, and there’s no revenue requirement for status, but also Alaska still credits miles based on the number of miles you fly — not based on how much you spent on the ticket.
Will this promo help you earn extra miles?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees