This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In the commercial airline industry, carriers are constantly trying to outdo one another with innovations, no matter how big or small they may be. Take, for example, Delta’s latest development, which allows customers to video chat with the airline’s reservations team. Delta is the first carrier in the US to offer a video chat function for its customers.
Delta announced Tuesday that passengers traveling through Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA) can choose to video chat with a Delta representative. At DCA, passengers who are interested in the video chat function will see five digital screens with individual receivers. If you’re interested, all you have to do is pick up the tablet, initiate the video with a touch and you’ll then be connected via video with a Delta rep.
This latest addition from Delta is intended to make the airport and customer service experience easier, faster and more personable. But we can also see how the video chat functionality has the potential to be a bit awkward. Airport terminals around the ticket counter are loud and hectic, so it seems like an odd place to implement a new video chat function.
Delta’s innovating in the reservations and customer service platforms in that it recommends that passengers interact with the airline on social media in addition to calling and emailing the airline. Plus, the Atlanta-based carrier is in the process of turning the airport experience into a paper-free one, using passengers’ fingerprints. Perhaps this video technology will take off, bound for other airports, but we’re curious to see how this pilot program works out.
Featured image courtesy of Delta.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Earn unlimited 10x miles on hotel stays booked and paid through hotels.com/venture. Pair that with the Hotels.com Rewards program and you'll essentially be getting 20% off of hotel bookings! With the 50,000 mile sign-up bonus you can get up to $700 in value based on TPG's most recent valuations and you'll have the flexibility to transfer those miles to participating airline partners or redeem those miles on any purchase for airfare, hotel stays, car rentals and more.
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
- Earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels, through January 2020; learn more at hotels.com/venture
- Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018
- Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime; no blackout dates. Plus transfer your miles to over 12 leading travel loyalty programs
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that