Delta’s Charging a Fortune for Suites on the A350 Inaugural
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Currently, Delta is charging a whopping $13,005 for a one-way ticket from Detroit to Tokyo on the October 30 inaugural.
Or you can book the flight for just 240,000 SkyMiles — while that’s an awfully high sum, given the cash fare you’d actually be getting a redemption value of 5.4 cents per mile here.
Delta’s new Suite product offers a sliding door at every business-class seat — the fact that the airline’s launching both a new Delta One seat and a brand-new aircraft with a single inaugural may be driving up the price here.
The new Suite looks pretty spiffy, sure, but it’s quite compact. You should have more room in Qatar’s Qsuite, for example, and even JetBlue’s Mint suite (available in every other row on select domestic routes) looks a bit more spacious. In other words: Etihad’s Residence this is not.
That said, there’s certainly tremendous excitement surrounding this launch — especially among Delta loyalists.
And there are some options for getting the fare down. For example, if you book a round-trip ticket with the return in coach, you’ll pay $10,285:
Meanwhile, a Delta One outbound, Premium Select (premium economy) return will run you $10,588:
And even a Delta One round-trip is a hair cheaper than a one-way, and if you’re flying from the US to Tokyo, you’ll probably need a flight back at some point, too. (And you’ll get two Tumi amenity kits. Ha!)
There’s no question that Delta’s inaugural pricing is obscene, especially given that there are currently 9+ seats available to book. To make matters worse, only center seats are available to select at this point, but it’s possible that a few window seats are being blocked until check-in.
Ultimately, a “normal” fare on this route will run you $6,300, so if you don’t need to be on the inaugural, you’ll save quite a bit by waiting. Award flights are consistently priced at 200,000 miles each way through the end of the schedule in 2018 — at 400,000 round-trip, SkyMiles aren’t a great option on this route, and unfortunately these higher-level awards aren’t available through partner programs, either.
Are you flying on Delta’s A350 inaugural?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees