This New DeLorean May Soon Take to the Skies
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The “Back To The Future” film franchise has captivated sci-fi geeks since the late 1980s, and gave the DeLorean DMC-12 instant fame for its futuristic looks. And now, it looks like DeLorean will be leaping into the future once again. On Monday, DeLorean Aerospace formally launched the DR-7, a proposed two-seat vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) personal air transport vehicle.
As reported by AVweb, the brains behind the project is none other than Paul DeLorean, the nephew of the original car creator, who serves as the CEO and chief designer of the company. As far-fetched as the concept sounds, the emergence of new lightweight materials, increased and more efficient batteries and sophisticated computer software powering autonomous cars means that it isn’t entirely unrealistic. What will be interesting, however, is how they’ll be regulated in terms of air traffic control and certification.
The company plans to conduct testing in an empty stretch of the California desert, similar to how other companies have tested Hyperloop systems. “We are moving forward on a full-size, piloted prototype which will carry two passengers and is designed to operate, fully electric, for a range of 120 miles,” DeLorean told Wired.
Under DeLorean’s lead, experts have told Wired that it may only be five to 15 years until we see VTOLs flying across the sky. “The design really solves a lot of major transportation problems and inefficiencies, such as deteriorating infrastructure, pollution, and road congestion,” DeLorean says.
A small player in the field, DeLorean joins Uber, Airbus and Google in pushing consumer-friendly VTOLs and autonomous cars as the future of urban transportation. The DR-7 will have foldable wings and will be around 20 feet long, meaning that it’ll be able to fit into a typical home garage. At a cost of about $250,000 to $300,000, the DR-7 will fly up to 120 miles on a single charge (Airbus’ Vahana is aiming for 50) based on its aerodynamics.
Featured Image Courtesy of DeLorean Aerospace.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees