This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm EST within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation.
Last month, United and Canada offered great airfares to Taiwan, and today they’re back at it again, with prices that are often even better than the last time around. Right now we’re seeing low fares from multiple US cities — including New York/Newark (EWR), Philadelphia (PHL), Cleveland (CLE), Chicago (ORD), Portland (PDX), San Francisco (SFO) and Los Angeles (LAX) — to Taipei (TPE) starting as low as $649 round-trip.
Departures are available from late August all the way through the end of the schedule in June, and you don’t need any tricks to get these prices. Just use Google Flights to find the dates you want, then book on Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline itself. Most of these itineraries have one reasonable connection in San Francisco (SFO) or Vancouver (YVR), and since these are international trips on mainstream carriers, travelers will get their first checked bag free along with a complimentary in-flight meal. (Though you’ll want to save room for shao bing you tiao, naturally.)
Airlines: United Airlines, Air Canada
Routes: NYC/PHL/CLE/LAX/SFO/PDX/ORD to TPE
Cost: $634 and up round-trip in economy
Dates: Late August through June (except December)
Booking Link: Orbitz or Expedia
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Taipei, Taiwan (TPE) round-trip for $634 via Orbitz:
San Francisco (SFO) to Taipei (TPE) round-trip for $634 via Orbitz:
Cleveland (CLE) to Taipei (TPE) round-trip for $649 via Orbitz:
New York/Newark (EWR) to Taipei (TPE) round-trip for $649 via Orbitz:
Philadelphia (PHL) to Taipei (TPE) round-trip for $649 via Orbitz:
Portland (PDX) to Taipei (TPE) round-trip for $679 via Orbitz:
Chicago (ORD) to Taipei (TPE) round-trip for $684 via Orbitz:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
Featured image courtesy of GoranQ/Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees