Deal Alert: US Cities to Taipei From $634 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm EST within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation.
Last month, United and Canada offered great airfares to Taiwan, and today they’re back at it again, with prices that are often even better than the last time around. Right now we’re seeing low fares from multiple US cities — including New York/Newark (EWR), Philadelphia (PHL), Cleveland (CLE), Chicago (ORD), Portland (PDX), San Francisco (SFO) and Los Angeles (LAX) — to Taipei (TPE) starting as low as $649 round-trip.
Departures are available from late August all the way through the end of the schedule in June, and you don’t need any tricks to get these prices. Just use Google Flights to find the dates you want, then book on Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline itself. Most of these itineraries have one reasonable connection in San Francisco (SFO) or Vancouver (YVR), and since these are international trips on mainstream carriers, travelers will get their first checked bag free along with a complimentary in-flight meal. (Though you’ll want to save room for shao bing you tiao, naturally.)
Airlines: United Airlines, Air Canada
Routes: NYC/PHL/CLE/LAX/SFO/PDX/ORD to TPE
Cost: $634 and up round-trip in economy
Dates: Late August through June (except December)
Booking Link: Orbitz or Expedia
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Taipei, Taiwan (TPE) round-trip for $634 via Orbitz:
San Francisco (SFO) to Taipei (TPE) round-trip for $634 via Orbitz:
Cleveland (CLE) to Taipei (TPE) round-trip for $649 via Orbitz:
New York/Newark (EWR) to Taipei (TPE) round-trip for $649 via Orbitz:
Philadelphia (PHL) to Taipei (TPE) round-trip for $649 via Orbitz:
Portland (PDX) to Taipei (TPE) round-trip for $679 via Orbitz:
Chicago (ORD) to Taipei (TPE) round-trip for $684 via Orbitz:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
Featured image courtesy of GoranQ/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.