Massachusetts Port Authority Considers Charging Drivers for Logan Airport Pick-Ups and Drop-Offs
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Would you be willing to pay a fee every time you drop off or pick up a friend or family member at the airport? For those who live in metropolitan Boston and utilize Logan airport (BOS), it could soon become a reality. As the result of pressure from environmental groups, the Massachusetts Port Authority is now studying the effects of imposing a fee on those who drop off or pick up others from the airport.
The Conservation Law Foundation (CLF) hopes that this toll will encourage more people to utilize public transit and would lead to a reduction in emissions from cars traveling to and from the airport. According to Massport, the state’s independent public authority, over 20,000 cars travel to the airport every day for drop-offs and pick-ups, while about 108,000 vehicles enter the airport in total on a daily basis. Air service has increased significantly at BOS — the airport has added more than 15,000 flights since 2015; 21% of all passengers arrive at Logan via personal drop-off.
The study is part of a compromise between the Massport and the CLF: Massport agreed to the study on the grounds that the CLF would not protest its plans to build 5,000 new parking spaces at Logan. The study is expected to be completed by July 2019.
Many airports across the country already add an additional fee to the total fare of those passengers who utilize a rideshare service or a taxi to get to the airport. Dallas Fort-Worth airport (DFW) has been charging drivers since the 1970s, but its fee is targeted more at drivers who use the airport road as a shortcut to get between two major highways in the area. Airports in the United Kingdom charge the equivalent of about $1.30 to $5 for those picking up or dropping off passengers at several locations, but it’s unknown if these fees have been enough to reduce automobile traffic at the airport.
Featured image by RomanBabakin via Getty Images.
H/T: The Boston Globe
Would you pay a fee to drop off or pick up family and friends from the airport? Let us know in the comments below. ˜
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees