The Best Way to Transfer Starpoints to United
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of the reasons transferable point currencies are so valuable is their flexibility. However, points and miles collectors can sometimes be frustrated to find poor transfer rates between points they have and miles they need.
Transferring points from Starwood Preferred Guest’s Starpoints to United’s MileagePlus can be one of these frustrating experiences. The standard transfer ratio is 2 Starpoints to just 1 United mile. Using the most-recent TPG valuations, that’s getting just 0.75 cents of value from a currency we value at 2.7 cents per point. The good news is that there’s a better way.
As part of the Starwood and Marriott merger, members are able to transfer points between their two loyalty program accounts at a 1 Starpoints to 3 Marriott point ratio. This opens a much better route for transferring points from Starwood to United, and it’s through Marriott.
Marriott points transfer to United miles based on a graduated scale, varying from 4:1 at the low end to nearly 2:1 when transferring the maximum amount:
However, you aren’t limited to just these 8,000-112,000 point redemptions. You can transfer even more points — and get even more value — from Marriott’s Air + Hotel Packages.
Here’s a chart combining these two options and comparing it against what you’d get transferring directly from SPG:
|Starpoints||Marriott points||United miles||vs. United miles
directly from SPG
*Plus a seven-night stay at a Marriott category 1-5 hotel.
As you can see, for every transfer option on this chart, it’s better to first convert Starpoints to Marriott points and then transfer to United.
Note that you’re required to transfer points from Starwood to Marriott in increments of 1,000 Starpoints (yielding 3,000 Marriott points). Conversely, you can transfer points from Marriott to Starwood in 1,000 point increments (yielding 333 Starpoints). That means, for the 112,000 Marriott point option, you can transfer 38,000 Starpoints to yield 114,000 Marriott points; transfer 112,000 Marriott points to 50,000 United miles; then transfer your remaining balance of 2,000 Marriott points back to SPG to yield 667 Starpoints. So, you’ll only have spent 37,333 Starpoints for 50,000 United miles, and you don’t have keep points in a Marriott account you might not use.
What’s your favorite United MileagePlus redemption option?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.