The Best Way to Transfer Starpoints to United
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of the reasons transferable point currencies are so valuable is their flexibility. However, points and miles collectors can sometimes be frustrated to find poor transfer rates between points they have and miles they need.
Transferring points from Starwood Preferred Guest’s Starpoints to United’s MileagePlus can be one of these frustrating experiences. The standard transfer ratio is 2 Starpoints to just 1 United mile. Using the most-recent TPG valuations, that’s getting just 0.75 cents of value from a currency we value at 2.7 cents per point. The good news is that there’s a better way.
As part of the Starwood and Marriott merger, members are able to transfer points between their two loyalty program accounts at a 1 Starpoints to 3 Marriott point ratio. This opens a much better route for transferring points from Starwood to United, and it’s through Marriott.
Marriott points transfer to United miles based on a graduated scale, varying from 4:1 at the low end to nearly 2:1 when transferring the maximum amount:
However, you aren’t limited to just these 8,000-112,000 point redemptions. You can transfer even more points — and get even more value — from Marriott’s Air + Hotel Packages.
Here’s a chart combining these two options and comparing it against what you’d get transferring directly from SPG:
|Starpoints||Marriott points||United miles||vs. United miles
directly from SPG
*Plus a seven-night stay at a Marriott category 1-5 hotel.
As you can see, for every transfer option on this chart, it’s better to first convert Starpoints to Marriott points and then transfer to United.
Note that you’re required to transfer points from Starwood to Marriott in increments of 1,000 Starpoints (yielding 3,000 Marriott points). Conversely, you can transfer points from Marriott to Starwood in 1,000 point increments (yielding 333 Starpoints). That means, for the 112,000 Marriott point option, you can transfer 38,000 Starpoints to yield 114,000 Marriott points; transfer 112,000 Marriott points to 50,000 United miles; then transfer your remaining balance of 2,000 Marriott points back to SPG to yield 667 Starpoints. So, you’ll only have spent 37,333 Starpoints for 50,000 United miles, and you don’t have keep points in a Marriott account you might not use.
What’s your favorite United MileagePlus redemption option?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees