British Airways Is Launching Transatlantic Flights From Nashville
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
British Airways has been beefing up its presence in the US a lot over the past year. In March, the carrier began new service from both Oakland (OAK) and New Orleans (MSY) to London, and last month it launched service between Fort Lauderdale (FLL) and London Gatwick (LGW).
Well, it seems that British Airways isn’t done with its US expansion. The London-based carrier announced Tuesday that it will launch new service to Nashville, Tennessee (BNA) beginning May 4, 2018. This London service will be the Music City’s first transatlantic flight in many years.
Here’s the schedule for the flights, which will operate on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays:
- BA 222 — London Heathrow (LHR) 3:45pm Departure ⇒ Nashville (BNA) 6:50pm Arrival
- BA 223 — Nashville (BNA) 8:25pm Departure ⇒ London Heathrow (LHR) 10:30am Arrival
At first glance, Nashville may seem like an odd choice. While the airport is the 33rd busiest in the US, it still seems hard to believe that the market could support five weekly flights to London. However, this is a perfect example of a route that’s enabled by the small but efficient Boeing 787 Dreamliner. BA’s operating flights from BNA with a 787-8 equipped with 214 seats in a three-class configuration (economy, premium economy and business). This aircraft also serves British Airways’ other “skinny” transatlantic routes between London and Baltimore (BWI), New Orleans (MSY) and Austin (AUS).
If you’re interested in booking the inaugural flight on May 4, there are plenty of open seats. Economy fares start at $935 round-trip or a reasonable $1,287 round-trip in premium economy for the inaugural. Both of these prices are before the $65 or $130, respectively, discount that you can get for being an AARP member. Regardless of your age, it’s worth signing up for the $12 per year AARP membership to get this discount.
Award options are also a possibility but aren’t cheap due to British Airways’ infamous fuel surcharges. Award flights between from BNA to LHR will cost you:
- Off-Peak Economy: 16,250 Avios + $153 one-way
- Standard Economy: 25,000 Avios + $153 one-way
- Off-Peak Premium Economy: 32,500 Avios (no dates found with availability)
- Standard Premium Economy: 50,000 Avios (no dates found with availability)
- Off-Peak Business: 62,500 Avios + $506 one-way
- Standard Business: 75,000 Avios + $506 one-way
Or, you can book these flights with AAdvantage miles:
- Off-Peak Economy: 22,500 miles + 287 one-way
- Economy: 30,000 miles + $287 one-way
- Business: 57,500 miles + $442 one-way
The flights will likely be codeshared with American Airlines, Finnair and Iberia. But, as of this writing, the codeshare flights aren’t yet being sold.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.