This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last year, Alaska Airlines acquired Virgin America. The resulting merger has been a long and drawn-out process. One of the first steps was allowing Virgin America Elevate members to transfer miles to Alaska’s Mileage Plan at a ratio of 1:1.3. And, at the time, Alaska was sweetening the deal by offering 10,000 bonus miles (worth $190 based on TPG’s most recent valuations) through February 28, 2017. Now, Alaska is extending that offer — yet again — through December 31, 2017.
If you’re an Elevate member who has yet to create and merge a MileagePlan account, you now have more time to take advantage of this offer. In order to create an account, you’ll want to register through this link on Alaska’s site. You’ll be asked for your Elevate program number and some personal information before creating a MileagePlan User ID and password. Once you’ve created the account, you’ll be awarded the 10,000 miles.
If you already have a MileagePlan account, Alaska will deposit the 10,000 miles in your account. The only restriction is that you must have had activity in both accounts within the past 18 months. So, even if you’ve got a membership with both programs, you’ll be able to receive the 10,000 miles.
As far as transferring your Elevate points to MileagePlan miles, you’ll likely want to wait until you have a specific redemption in mind. You can only transfer in the one direction — transfers from MileagePlan to Elevate are not possible. However, come early 2018 if you don’t transfer points to miles, all of your Elevate points will automatically become MileagePlan miles.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards