This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last year, Alaska Airlines acquired Virgin America. The resulting merger has been a long and drawn-out process. One of the first steps was allowing Virgin America Elevate members to transfer miles to Alaska’s Mileage Plan at a ratio of 1:1.3. And, at the time, Alaska was sweetening the deal by offering 10,000 bonus miles (worth $190 based on TPG’s most recent valuations) through February 28, 2017. Now, Alaska is extending that offer — yet again — through December 31, 2017.
If you’re an Elevate member who has yet to create and merge a MileagePlan account, you now have more time to take advantage of this offer. In order to create an account, you’ll want to register through this link on Alaska’s site. You’ll be asked for your Elevate program number and some personal information before creating a MileagePlan User ID and password. Once you’ve created the account, you’ll be awarded the 10,000 miles.
If you already have a MileagePlan account, Alaska will deposit the 10,000 miles in your account. The only restriction is that you must have had activity in both accounts within the past 18 months. So, even if you’ve got a membership with both programs, you’ll be able to receive the 10,000 miles.
As far as transferring your Elevate points to MileagePlan miles, you’ll likely want to wait until you have a specific redemption in mind. You can only transfer in the one direction — transfers from MileagePlan to Elevate are not possible. However, come early 2018 if you don’t transfer points to miles, all of your Elevate points will automatically become MileagePlan miles.
This cash back card has a focus on dining and entertainment where you can earn unlimited 4% cash back in those spending categories. You can also earn 2% cash back at grocery stores and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn a one-time $500 cash bonus after you spend $3000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- Access to premium experiences in dining, entertainment and more
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, $95 after that