This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last year, Alaska Airlines acquired Virgin America. The resulting merger has been a long and drawn-out process. One of the first steps was allowing Virgin America Elevate members to transfer miles to Alaska’s Mileage Plan at a ratio of 1:1.3. And, at the time, Alaska was sweetening the deal by offering 10,000 bonus miles (worth $190 based on TPG’s most recent valuations) through February 28, 2017. Now, Alaska is extending that offer — yet again — through December 31, 2017.
If you’re an Elevate member who has yet to create and merge a MileagePlan account, you now have more time to take advantage of this offer. In order to create an account, you’ll want to register through this link on Alaska’s site. You’ll be asked for your Elevate program number and some personal information before creating a MileagePlan User ID and password. Once you’ve created the account, you’ll be awarded the 10,000 miles.
If you already have a MileagePlan account, Alaska will deposit the 10,000 miles in your account. The only restriction is that you must have had activity in both accounts within the past 18 months. So, even if you’ve got a membership with both programs, you’ll be able to receive the 10,000 miles.
As far as transferring your Elevate points to MileagePlan miles, you’ll likely want to wait until you have a specific redemption in mind. You can only transfer in the one direction — transfers from MileagePlan to Elevate are not possible. However, come early 2018 if you don’t transfer points to miles, all of your Elevate points will automatically become MileagePlan miles.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees