Alaska Elites Now Get Free Seat Upgrades on Virgin America
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Alaska Airlines’ merger with Virgin America closed late last year, and since then, the carriers have been working to integrate, including extending benefits to elite members of both Alaska Mileage Plan and Virgin America’s Elevate program. There’s still much to be done, but so far we’ve seen priority check-in, boarding and two free checked bags for Alaska elites flying Virgin, and an offer of 10,000 points to existing loyalty program members.
The next phase of the elite integration, scheduled for “summer 2017,” gives Alaska elites access to preferred economy seats and Main Cabin Select upgrades, along with an advance purchase window for first-class upgrades. And just on time, TPG reader and Alaska Airlines elite member Rob wrote in with a discovery this week:
Today I booked a flight online using my Chase Sapphire Reserve points while having an Alaska rep on the line. After booking, she was able to manually move me to a preferred seat for free. She said that’s already been in effect for a few weeks now. It’s a manual process through them for now, but they were told on August 24 it’ll be live for people to do themselves online.
I confirmed with Alaska Airlines that elites can now select preferred economy seats and are eligible for Main Cabin Select upgrades — for now you’ll need to call in to Alaska to be assigned these premium seats, but online selection will be live on Thursday, August 24. Meanwhile, Alaska plans to inform elites of the change next Wednesday, August 30.
There’s no word yet on when the “advance purchase window” for paid first-class upgrades will be available to Alaska elites, but hopefully that’s on the way as well.
Have you managed to score a premium Virgin seat as an Alaska elite?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.