Air Berlin VP Tries to Help His Team Get New Jobs, Ends Up Fired
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s been 12 days since Germany’s second-largest airline, Air Berlin, declared bankruptcy. While it is still flying thanks to a loan from the German government, negotiations continue to determine the future of the airline. Its most likely fate is being bought in separate pieces by competitors interested in its fleet or airport slots, although Ryanair has expressed interest in purchasing the entire airline. Meanwhile, Air Berlin’s Topbonus mileage program has also gone bankrupt.
Seemingly not one to wait around to see what’s going to happen, Air Berlin’s VP of E-Commerce Pascal Volz recently set up a website devoted to getting his entire e-commerce team hired as a group by another airline or company. It’s hard to imagine many companies in need of an entire e-commerce team and not just a member or two, but Volz evidently wanted to do what he saw as the right thing for his team.
Still, not surprisingly, attempting to get your entire team hired elsewhere while that team is still employed didn’t turn out too well. One member of the team is now looking for a job a lot more urgently than the rest. According a story in the German-language Berliner Morgenpost on Sunday, Volz was “fristlos entlassen” (fired without notice).
According to the paper, Air Berlin considered the appearance of the website to be “business-damaging behavior”. That’s because it “contained internal information about the company, which would have led to conclusions about Air Berlin’s marketing strategy. In addition, the website has been created during working hours.”
Visitors to the website will now find that the landing page notes that the “Original website not available anymore.” However, if you scroll down, you’ll see the welcome message from “Dr. Pascal Volz, VP E-Commerce & Online Sales”, with links to his LinkedIn and Xing professional profiles. We checked, and Dr. Volz hasn’t quite gotten around to updating his LinkedIn profile with his new employment status:
Best wishes to Dr. Volz, the rest of his team and the 2,500 employees of Air Berlin in this unsteady time.
H/T: One Mile At A Time
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees