This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Qatar Airways is celebrating the launch of several routes with a very generous offer for Privilege Club members. Between now and March 31, 2018, you can earn up to 500,000 bonus miles for traveling on each of the carrier’s upcoming first flights to or from any of its new destinations.
In order to get the 500,000 Qmiles, you must fly on the first flight for all of its new destinations that are launching between now and March 31, 2018. The first three of the new routes launch in August: Sohar (OHS), Prague (PRG) and Kiev (KBP). If this promo is something you’re interested in, here are the details on each of the carrier’s first flights for the three new destinations:
- Doha (DOH) to Sohar (OHS) — Departs August 8 at 1:20pm
- Cost at time of writing: $309 one-way in economy
- Doha (DOH) to Prague (PRG) — Departs August 21 at 8:00am
- Cost at time of writing: $612 one-way in economy
- Doha (DOH) to Kiev (KBP) — Departs August 28 at 3:15pm
- Cost at time of writing: $710 one-way in economy
In order to get the miles, be sure you input your membership number at the time of booking or check-in so that the miles are automatically credited to your account. This offer is valid only for main members, and award tickets are not eligible. Note that the first flights can be those to or from new destinations — they’re not required to originate in DOH.
If you’re able to fly on all of the first flights through March 31, 2018, you’ll walk away with 500,000 Qmiles. While TPG doesn’t include Qatar in his monthly valuations, 500,000 Qmiles will get you pretty far. You can fly round-trip between New York (JFK) and Doha (DOH) for 140,000 Qmiles in business class. When the carrier’s new business-class product Qsuite launches between JFK and DOH later this year, you can fly round-trip in the excellent new product for the same amount of miles. So, with this 500,000 bonus offer, you can afford three round-trip business-class tickets.
Qatar is showing no signs of curtailing its expansion plans, even given the strain on its routes that it’s seen since several Gulf nations cut ties with the State of Qatar. Since the carrier’s had to adapt to the restrictions, it’s found out new ways to be able to move passengers around the region. This promo is surely an attempt to generate buzz surrounding the airline and to get people on board its airplanes on these new routes.
If you’re able to take advantage of this deal from Qatar, it could be well worth the time. Considering the value you could get out of the 500,000 Qmiles, the money you’d be required to spend for the one-way tickets for each of the first flights could prove to be worth it, especially if you’re based in the region.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), up to a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees