US to Ban Travel to North Korea
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This just in: American citizens will no longer be able to visit North Korea starting in August. The largest agencies that operate tourist visits — Koryo Tours and Young Pioneer Tours — have said that the ban is expected to be announced on July 27 and will come into effect 30 days later. This morning, the US State Department issued a statement citing “serious risk of arrest” and “long-term detention” among concerns that prompted the travel restriction.
In an earlier statement, Young Pioneer Tours said: “After the 30-day grace period, any US national that travels to North Korea will have their passport invalidated by their government.” The agency was informed of the change by the Swedish embassy in Pyongyang, which represents the US in North Korea.
The US State Department has strongly warned its citizens to not travel to North Korea since May, claiming that those who do are at serious risk of arrest and long-term detention under the country’s system of law enforcement for crimes that wouldn’t normally be considered as illegal acts in the United States. At least 16 US citizens have been detained in the country over the past decade. Most recently, Otto Warmbier — a student who was sentenced to 15 years of imprisonment for allegedly stealing a propaganda poster from his hotel — died six days after he was released from custody in a coma in June.
Image courtesy of George Pachantouris via Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.